Server Upgrade and Assorted Whatsits

FORUM NEWS ! KEEP UP TO DATE !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Server Upgrade and Assorted Whatsits

Post by Pendragon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Ladies and Gents,

Hi to the old crew. New folks: I'm the one that keeps the widgets turning for the technical side of the forum.

I do apologize for going somewhat AWOL for quite a while, I got really ill and to add insult to injury I was diagnosed with something else than what I actually had. Yay.

We will be upgrading to an entirely new, fancy server on July 6. This means that on July 6 the TMB forum will be completely inaccessible, likely for the whole day.

Because we are upgrading to a new server, and also because the forum software we are currently using is so old that it died 10 years ago, I will need to upgrade the forum to its most current iteration. The current version will simply not work with the new server.

There will be temporary losses. We will lose any and all skins\templates we have here, but I will replace those once the forum is up to date. We will also lose the rotating banners on top of the forum, as that's a script that was written specifically for us and it's unlikely that it will work on the updated board. I will, however, get some [strike]victim[/strike] volunteer to write us up a new one.

There will be no post\content losses at all. We are just upgrading the bones without making any changes to the content.

So, to sum it up:

June 29 - I will update the forum. Board will be down for a few hours while I tinker with the stuff.

July 6 - We are getting an entirely new server. Board will be completely offline until that move is complete, likely for the whole day.

I'm sorry for such a short notice, but I just found out about the upgrades myself. If anyone has any questions or concerns, drop them here and I will do my best to answer.
“The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.”
Way2prickly
Bean VIP

Post by Way2prickly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Thank you for doing all this work!

Hope you continue to get better and stay well!
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Good news, thanks so much Pendragon. It is great to hear from you again after so long, and I hope your health continues to improve. Your posts in the 'old days' were always so very funny - more please!
Connied
Bean Adolescent

Post by Connied » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for all you do. Could you make this a secure site?
SeansRose
Location: my body in Munich - my thoughts in Sheffield - my heart...always with Sean

Post by SeansRose » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks for the information and for everything you do!
"...I´m still Sean that me mates went to school with, not Sean the film star. And that´s the way I prefer to be..."
-Sean Bean-

Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Post by Pendragon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Connied wrote:Thanks for all you do. Could you make this a secure site?
Yup, that's the plan. It's going to be a bit of going around with the upgrade, as the forum is so old it's asking me to sacrifice an 80 year old virgin to proceed, but once that's done we'll have an SSL certificate running. :-D

Everyone just hang in there for the bumps while I start the summoning ritu....I mean, while we upgrade.
“The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.”
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You haven't changed kid!!
Brenna
Bean VIP

Post by Brenna » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Pendragon keep up the good work... and good to know we will have an upgrade!
*Live Your Dreams*
Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Re: Server Upgrade and Assorted Whatsits

Post by Pendragon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Well, that took a while longer than I thought it would, but here we are!

Extra special thanks to whoever donated Sister Mary, the 80 year old nun. The upgrade couldn't have gone nearly as well without her.

I have rescued the rotating banners, and we actually have a complete replacement for the old one in place, thanks to a lovely add-on developer. So that's one thing off the list.

There will be bumps in the road still - we are upgrading to new server digs on the 6th, and after that's done I'll set up the SSL certificate so that we're upgraded totally into 2018.

You might want to check your profiles. There are a few new things in there, and some old stuff might need adjusting. You can also select the board templates there, in case you don't like this one.

As always - if something is not right, tell me and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

(Yes, I can see that phpBB logo up there. I'll be getting rid of that this afternoon.)

Now... :shots:
Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Post by Pendragon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 pm

One more thing - if you're having trouble staying logged in, please bear with me. Cookies are giving me hell and I unfortunately can't just eat those and get rid of the problem that way. I'll get it fixed soonish.

Also, once Lou pops back in - I had to make some changes in the admin panel to get this working. Poke me when you're back and I'll give you all the relevant details. :runaround:
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:10 am

Hi Pendragon, thanks for all your hard work! The board looks very stylish.

Quick question: Would it be possible to set things up so that the member avatars and information appear on the left side of the screen like they used to do, instead of the right side? The new layout seems to be reducing the display size of large photos, which now are automatically resized to fit between the left border and the member info column on the right. Or is that by design, to stop anyone from needing to scroll the page horizontally? If that's the case then I can see how the benefits might outweigh the drawbacks.
Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Post by Pendragon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 pm

It is by design.

The layout is dependent on the template or "style" you select. If you go into your User Control Panel and click on Board Preferences, there's an option called My Board Style. There are three right now. Prosilver is the basic phpBB board style, Digi is a wide "whole screen" style reminiscent of the old TMB we used to have and Latte is a light, narrow skin. Some styles have the user info on the right, some on the left.

Give those a try. You may need to refresh the page after you save your skin choice for it to display.

The narrow style will constrain the picture, because that's the way they were designed. They look a lot better on mobile devices and yeah, it is to prevent people having to scroll sideways for pics. It's not a big deal for anyone with a large monitor (mine is 32"), but those on smaller screen real estate tend to have problems with pics blowing up a post to a point where it's unreadable and just awkward to scroll through.

Does this make sense?
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Yep, it makes perfect sense. I'll check out the alternate templates. :highfive:
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:30 pm

The Digi style does the trick for displaying large photos at full size. :cheer:

I stopped getting email notifications of posts in watched topics after the upgrade, but I found where to turn them back on in the user control panel under Board Preferences > Edit Notification Options, so I think I'm all set now.

P.S. The new Search function is soooooo much better than the old version. The results now let you go to the exact post you were looking for. :likeit:
loucifer67
Site Admin

Post by loucifer67 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi Pendragon

Sorry but I've been unwell and not had much time to check in

The upgrade looks lovely. can you email me on cegababe@yahoo.com

Then you can walk me through the changes

Lou
x