Aftermath

Fan Fiction about Sean, non 18+

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Aftermath

Post by sharpshooter1 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

The incredible Mr Tolkien left us a wonderful world to play in.
No money changing hands just writing for fellow LoTR fans
This story is a birthday treat for darling CM
Warning – sentimental !

Aftermath

They all somehow made it through the first year. Aragorn, struggling to become a king worthy of the lost Boromir often stood for hours at the window of his study staring out across Gondor catching glimpses of the river and imagining Boromir riding towards Minas Tirith. Coming home at last. The loss had settled in his heart, he had become a man of much wisdom, much dignity, few words and fewer smiles. The people respected and honoured him and his elven bride - but none loved him.

Faramir had healed slowly taking up the cares and responsibilities that Boromir’s death had placed on his shoulders. His youth had vanished on the funeral pyre with the sound of his father’s screams and then the news confirming the devastating loss of his brother. His untidy red hair was now muted with soft grey streaks. He had changed and was now a silent, dignified man. Some of the older people remembered his smile, remembered the laughter of the two brothers when their father was occupied. They shook their heads remembering Boromir, how his presence, his laughter, his acts of secret kindness had warmed the stone walls of the palace.

The news that Arwen would bear a child in the spring brought a measure of joy to all of them. The New Year would also bring the marriage between and Faramir and Éowyn; two lonely souls supporting each other. It was nearly the year’s end and Aragorn and Arwen were sitting together by the fire discussing names.
‘You say you carry a son, my lady, a mother’s instinct or elven magic?’ he asked smiling.
‘A little of both I think. My lord we need to consider moving to larger apartments, I know you like to keep our private life apart from your public life and duties but a baby does need lots of things and plenty of room. He or maybe She especially need nannies for all babies do tend to cry a lot also. Will you think on it my lord?’
‘Yes, certainly a good idea, we do need more space and we could do with a change. I will talk with Faramir; living on the other side he knows all the spare apartments there and how large they are.’

~~~~~~~~~~~

Aragorn had spent the morning inspecting empty, dusty closed rooms. They seemed so sad and there were so many of them. ‘Why were some of these rooms not used as guest apartments or offices?’ he puzzled out loud. Faramir turned, he head and quietly replied
‘It was expected that Boromir as steward and I his right hand man would find fine wives, marry and fill the palace with children, with friends, with laughter. A foolish dream that died many years ago when our father became sick and the ‘eye’ poisoned him against his loved ones.’ Faramir paused then added ‘It died as the dark covered our lands and we fought on, alone’
He sighed and stared down the winding stone corridor. For a moment he saw himself and Boromir, heard the roars and laughter as they rode their wooden steeds, wielded their swords and drove back imaginary enemies.’ He swallowed his tears and rage at his loss then turned back to face his king; Aragorn stood there stricken by the depths of Faramir’s pain
‘I am so sorry, no, it was not a foolish dream at all. I miss him too. I would that things had been different, that I had been a wiser man and protected him with my friendship. He was always upright, proud and brave and I was then jealous and insecure. I should have stretched out my hand in true friendship that night in the gardens of Lothlórien, comforted him. All too late, much too late. I struggle now to be worthy of him. I’m sorry for I realise ‘tis no comfort to you.’
Faramir smiled a little replying ‘I too was not worthy of him, instead of standing up to my father I slunk afraid in the shadows and let Boromir deal with him and sometimes even take a punishment in my place. He wasn’t that much older than me yet he struggled to keep us all going.’
‘Faramir would you do me the honour of showing me his apartments if they are still kept. I miss him everyday and I would like to see where he lived before he set off for the last time.’
‘Of course, be at ease, I and the servants have ensured each week everything is dusted, polished or washed and returned to its place.’ He reached up and removed a key hidden on the lintel then unlocked the door.
Aragorn wasn’t sure what he expected but when Faramir flung open the shutters the cold winter sun streamed in warming itself in a sitting room dressed in heavy red curtains and dark oak furniture, the walls enlivened with b/w sketches of the city and people signed with a flowing large B. Aragorn leant closer to admire a sketch of Faramir as a very young man, his head back, laughing. There was Denethor in another sketch upright, stern yet as he looked closer he noticed Boromir had included a small bedraggled kitten staring at the mighty steward. Aragorn laughed and Faramir joined him saying. ‘I do love that sketch; Bori used to say if a cat can look at a king then a cat can also look at a mighty steward..’
‘What did your father say to that?’
‘He laughed.’
Aragorn wandered around the room absorbing the essence of Boromir. The sketches, the books, detailed plans for defending the city laid out on a table. A small cabinet with bottles of wine on display, glasses and a tiny framed drawing of a beautiful woman.
‘Who is she, did he have a ..?’
‘No that is our mother, the Lady Finduilas. She was beautiful wasn’t she? She had elven blood and pined away for the sea and the sea winds. When she died father and I grieved and would not be comforted, leaving Boromir to shoulder his grief alone. Ah well, come and see the rest of his apartment.
A neat uncluttered bedroom, a freshly made bed waiting, always waiting for a weary man to return and rest. Aragorn touched Boromir’s brushes neatly laid out and looked into the mirror hoping foolishly to see Boromir over his shoulder smiling back at him.
Faramir opened a door to a bathroom with a great stone tub, a large fluffy towel and a bar of soap to hand. Aragorn smiled picturing a tired Boromir sinking with a sigh of relief into warm water.
‘This is – was his private study’ Faramir said pushing another door then he opened open the shutters and Aragorn walked across to the great desk that was facing the window the view was similar to the view from his office. The land of Gondor stretching out and a glimpse of the mighty river.
Then he saw it, lying across the desk. The sword, Boromir’s sword, dented yet polished and shining. He touched it and with tears in his eyes he turned saying
‘How is it here, how did you get it?’
‘He called me in a dream and I went down to the boat; it had stopped and was waiting for me in the bulrushes. I bent down and kissed him he was so cold, I kissed the hands that held the sword and I heard his voice as clear as anything ‘Take it Faramir it is for you now. Remember me brother.’ So I took it and, and I woke up wet, frozen with his sword in my hand. Sometimes I worry that I did wrong, that I was selfish and even worse because he did not have his sword in his hand when he reached the halls of Mandos and I ask myself over and over again how will they know what a great warrior he was.’

Aragorn went over to Faramir who was by now weeping He put his arms around the younger man saying ‘They will know, all our lands honour him and praise his bravery.’ Then they cried on each other’s shoulder’s grieving for a brother and friend who had gone on ahead. The sun flooding into the room touched the sword and for a moment it looked as if it was made of sunbeams.
‘Faramir I am starting to understand we have to let him go, we must take up our lives again. You to marriage and being my steward and I to being a kind husband and a good king. Not only for Boromir but for all the unknown men, women and children who perished. All that sacrifice and we do not honour them if we do not live well.
The next day a fast horseman was despatched with a handwritten letter to the Lady Éowyn, it read:

“My dearest Éowyn
I have missed you and thought of you often. I would like to invite you to come and spend the Mettare winter feast with us. It would be an honour and a pleasure to see you again and spend time talking and planning our wedding feast.’
Loving wishes
Faramir
Steward to King Aragorn.

She opened the letter and wept with joy the tears on her cheeks turned to sunbeams by a sudden strong ray of the winter morning sun sliding in the window.

~~~~~~~~~~

‘Well dearest one, I have spoken at length with Faramir. There is a whole area unused now. It faces the South West and has a large garden on one of the levels. It would be perfect for a growing family, plenty of rooms, plenty of space - long corridors for our children to run and play in . My love, it was Boromir’s but something tells me he would be happy for us to live there. He used to grow herbs and roses in the garden ~ you like flowers maybe you could bring it back to life? I think you must miss the woods and waters of Rivendell. Will you come with me and view it?’
Arwen sighed with relief, smiled and sent a loving thought, a loving promise to Boromir.
She looked around Boromir’s office then went to the desk and looked out across Gondor and catching a glimpse of the river she sent a loving blessing. She turned saying ‘Dearest why do we not leave these special rooms as they are and let the children of Minas Tirith come once a year ~ perhaps on the anniversary of Boromir’s birthday to marvel at his sword and to hear stories of Boromir’s bravery and kindness, also to remember him and all our dead. I do think wooden swords and horses and lots of sweet cakes and fruit juice would be a good idea – such long boring corridors.’
She stopped and touched the sword it spoke in her mind. It spoke of honour and promises kept and it spoke of a time in the distant future when all would be reunited once more. She glimpsed green eyes and a smile to melt the hardest of hearts.
The sun touched her hair, Aragorn went to her and smoothed it saying ‘You have rainbows in your hair dearest’ She smiled up at him ‘Yes, yes, I think I do.’ She replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six months later
Aragorn sat in the warm garden stretching his legs and watched the nannies carrying his son and daughter in the sunshine and showing them the roses now in full bloom. Arwen came into garden carrying a tray with a nicely chilled bottle of white wine and some biscuits.
‘I look at them and they are wonderful but I still have to laugh ~ fraternal twins and you didn’t even know.’ She threw a cushion at him then they toasted each other, their babies and Boromir.
He kissed Arwen’s hand. ‘Thank you for the name it is perfect and Mira is rather feisty. Mira let out a yell at the sound of her name and reached out to her father to be held. Green eyes flashing and an enchanting smile that he gave into every time.
Faramir and Éowyn joined them in the secluded garden. Éowyn looked a little pale and refused wine asking for some fruit juice instead. Arwen smiled to herself. Faramir prowled nervously around then announced their news ~ hugs and congratulations, more wine for the not pregnant people and a bouquet of hastily cut roses for Éowyn. ‘Amazing amount of sunbeams in this garden’ said Faramir looking around happily. As if in reply one seemed to wrap itself around his shoulders.

Fin

~~~~~~~~~~~

Post script
As for Aragorn and Arwen well they had two more children ~ fraternal twins of course. Their people respected, honoured and loved them. And Faramir? He loved his wife and their children two sturdy sons called Boromir and Theodred. He remained a man of much wisdom, much dignity, many kind words and many smiles. Time does indeed heal ~ sometime it needs a little help from sunbeams and a loving heart..
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed May 02, 2012 6:24 pm

:flower: :flower: :flower:
Oh bless you, my dear Sharps, of course I am weeping here, sad for Boromir but happy for the new families and for that never fading memory of the Man. Thank you for this precious birthday gift. :flower: :flower: :flower:
[Image
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm

CM So happy you enjoyed this story, sorry if it made you weep sweetie. I have been thinking on it for a while now - how to write about our darling Boromir living on in the hearts of those who loved him.

Hugs xxx
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Sharps, thanks for such a beautiful tale - I am a snivelling wreck here!
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

morvgal58 - bless glad you enjoyed it. Boromir is my favourite character in the films. I like to think of him living on in one way or another.
Hugs S
Moominmamma
Viggo's Celestial Angel No 1

Post by Moominmamma » Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 pm

This is very beautiful and very moving, but my eyes have gone all blurry now. :oops: Thank you for such a lovely story. abighugs_gif
Way2prickly
Bean VIP

Post by Way2prickly » Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Such a wonderful continuation of their tale. Made me cry and smile at the same time. I think those are the best kind of tears.
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Mooms and Way2prickly I am very happy that you enjoyed this story. Sorry it is a bit sad but I like to think of darling Boromir living on in their hearts. :boromir:
LadyIce
Been Adult

Post by LadyIce » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Sharpes, you have a gift for capturing these characters. I always wonder what memorial Boromir would have in The White City. Yours is a creative glimpse into post ROTK Gondor.

Banner image thanks to Govi!
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Thank you LadyIce it is interesting to think about Boromir and those who knew and mourned him. I always think of the LoTR characters as mythic; their destinies cannot be avoided or changed but how they find the courage to overcome and deal with their fates is something I like to imagine and write about.
ziadada
Bean Adolescent

Post by ziadada » Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Beautiful, thank you :-D
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:17 am

Thank you for your kind comment.
hegihe
Bean Mistress

Post by hegihe » Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am

Beautiful story, made me cry... Very well written! :thankyou:
Wildshadowstar
BeanToddler

Post by Wildshadowstar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 am

Wonderful story. I often wonder how Aragorn felt about stepping into the role of king and having Faramir as Steward with Aragorn's history with Boromir. Even with all the information that Tolkein left, I would have liked to have known mo about the ppersonal lives of Denethor and family as he raised his two sons in the growing threat of Mordor.

The added scene of the introduction of Denethor and the private moment between brothers was one of my favorites from Two Towers. Sean really brought a lot to that scene.
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:34 am

Hi there - glad you enjoyed this little story. I do love our Boromir and sometimes in this dreary world he shines like a beacon!
:boromir: