Has anyone read ...?

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: Janice, loucifer67, morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna

sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 am

Nice one - one can imagine the writers chuckling over that. Must read 'Sharpe's Story' - all tapped out after Christmas so will have to wait till Feb to buy it! :lol:
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:23 pm

I only want to remark a thing on a Rifleman Harris: I believe there are two of them - you mean a true author of the book The Compleat Rifleman Harris...etc., who was definitely an existing person.
Then you can have a fictional Rifleman Harris-No-Name, who is actually Jason Salkey- Harris from Sharpe series. Jason has got his own website as a link on SAS site. Here he presents his Diaries of Rifleman Harris - a video chronicle of filming Sharpe, he shows his devotion to the Chosen Men, presents lots of interesting information and is generally such a lovely and nice person! So you can meet him at the Waterstones, signing the Chefs. (Pity, not me... :cry: )
And I know this only because I mailed to him for his Diaries and I visit his site for the news.
By the way: the Diaries are absolutely, absolutely GREAT, as you could put it - A MUST HAVE!
jd4sb
Bean Mistress

Post by jd4sb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Well, I've just received my copies of 'The Compleat Rifleman Harris' and 'Rifleman Costello' from Amazon. :cheer:

I haven't read them yet as I'm going on holiday soon and I'm saving them for the (long) flight. I will post my thoughts and opinions on them after my hol., but I couldn't resist a peek at the Introduction page, where I found a quite amusing reference:

"The text of this book is the original version of Rifleman Harris' account of his service in the Peninsula campaign with the 95th (Rifles) - the green jacketed sharpeshooters.
Another rifleman - though fictional - has brought attention to this famous regiment again and his name is probably now the one that the public most readily bring to mind when Wellington's riflemen are mentioned."

I wonder who they could mean??? :roll: :lol:
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Have a great holiday and look forward to hearing what you thought of the books. Also well worth reading is ' Rifles' by Mark Urban a definitive and at times poignant, moving and sad account of their trials, tribulations and victories.
:smile:
Lighty

Re: Has anyone read ...?

Post by Lighty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:24 am

hklettuce06 wrote:THE COMPLEAT RIFLEMAN HARRIS - THE ADVENTURES OF A SOLDIER OF THE 95TH (RIFLES) DURING THE PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN OF THE NAPOLEONIC WARS by Benjamin HARRIS (Author)

Would love to know what you think and if it's worth buying.
I have. Leave it to an historian. It was written by Harris, and tells the story of his time as a soldier in the 95th. Early 19th century. Not a particularly thrilling read - he was probably a better soldier than a writer.

There are some interesting sections, of course, and some pretty good descriptions of battles and aftermaths - some are quite affecting. I'm sure Bernard has read the book, because there are distinct echoes in the Sharpe novels and besides, he's a very good researcher.

It's worth reading if you really like descriptions of battles - or would like to tell people that yes, you do read 19th century diaries!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks Lighty :smile: Very helpful information - just what I was looking for.

jd...can't imagine who they mean...another rifleman...a certain green uniform.... :halo:
ziadada
Bean Adolescent

Post by ziadada » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm

(trying to make myself useful :smile: )

"Recollections of rifleman Harris" can be read here (of course, you'll need a steam-powered ebook reader ;-) )

http://www.archive.org/details/recollectionsofr00harr
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks ziadada :highfive:
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:25 pm

you can also get an abridged audio version here.

http://www.harrisaudiobook.com/
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery