Sharpe´s Enemy

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: Janice, loucifer67, morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna

Czechmade
Bean VIP

Sharpe´s Enemy

Post by Czechmade » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:39 am

Huh, this was a ride! I finished the book yesterday. And I tell you all quite seriously - if Nosey had a chance to have Richard as a second-in-command or to give him a promotion to a General - well, I believe old Boney would be finished. This brilliant strategy, absolutely excellent and modern, horrible in consequences but necessary in the story - using all possible or even impossible means including the infamous rockets - well, I am really excited by this story! And the moment when Patrick is reported missing and other pieces where you can follow Sharpe´s thoughts, it is really excellent! I hate Lord Farthingdale, I do - in some way he seemed to me more obnoxious than Hakeswill - Obadiah is a personalised Evil and we know it. But His Lordship is something pathetic, distasteful but unfortunately powerful and so dangerous. I like Sweet William and here he is a more complex character -a well- educated art lover, not only a soldier...
And I also want to remind of Richard´s vision of the future warfields. All right, imagine the contemporary Generals, high-rank officers to go to the battle with their swords in their hands - it would teach them a lesson!
Terry
Cold shower didn't help!

Post by Terry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:19 pm

The series of stories with Hakeswill in them are my favorites. He is one of Cornwell's best drawn villains. And he ALMOST makes one feel sorry for Obadiah--at least for the child that Obadiah was.
ImageImage
May2
Bean Adolescent

Post by May2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Teresa's death totally surprised me. I have never cried more reading a book.
GOCUBSGO
momma_said
Bean Baby

Post by momma_said » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:22 am

I'm 18 chapters in and loving every page so far (especially when they took the tower -- I could really picture every moment, and Harper was my hero there :smile: )

I'm not really looking forward to what happens to Teresa, though, but at least it won't take me by surprise, since I had it spoiled for me while watching the movie version.
[center] “This be the verse that you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be,
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill
.”
(R.L. Stevenson)
[/center]