Sharpe¨s Devil

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Czechmade
Bean VIP

Sharpe¨s Devil

Post by Czechmade » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Well, the last one (so far).
And quite interesting! I am still in the middle but the story has got an intriguing "flavour": some originally firm qualities AND characters are put in a shaker of history. What you get is a "fall of gods" - old virtues of the Spanish aristocracy are honest but stay in a way of progress; ambassadors try to destroy their own people; outstanding British marine officers plan to use the fallen Emperor; all "pillars of power" are corrupted. All is upside down. On the top of that we are in Peru! And in the middle of this mess - Richard and OBESE Patrick! Sharpe is older, he is, but Hallelujah, his old brave, clever, and stubborn self! Here the wheel of Fates turn fast for him but nothing and nobody can stop him. Oh yes, there are passages where you expect a disaster...but our heroes go on pursuing their mission BUT sinking deeper into more trouble. And Sharpe NEVER gives up. I Know he will not. So I leave here and go to finish it!
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:09 am

It is a very clever book with great characters (as usual). I read the book and have the audio book ("Sharpe's Devil read by Sean Bean" Can't get enough of hearing that! :flirt:)
ImageImage
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:03 am

I also have the audiobook-love Sean acting all the characters, including Harper.

I wish they would make a film of this book - it would be perfect for Sean and Daragh now. There's a lot of humor as well in the book.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:54 am

It is done. I left Richard on his way back to Lucille...Good luck!
Hmm, this story is really different, isn´t it? Sharpe on the border of two worlds? With one leg still in a warfield with his old instincts and cunning and blood boiling - with his second in the time of peace, farming and belonging...
The story is excellent, with breathtaking twists and almost unbelievable historical background. Really, what IF Bony had NOT died? I couldn´t help thinking of it and, damn, I believe our history could have been quite different! The United States of South America? Why not?
I am glad at least in the book Sharpe has found a true home and haven...

"Will yer go or will you tarry, will you wait or will you marry,
would this moment last forever, kiss me now and leave me never -
love farewell...."
Eryndil

Post by Eryndil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:26 pm

I loved this one, just as much as the others. Good old Sharpe trimmed Harper right up by the end. That made me very happy. Not that there is anything wrong with a chubby Harper, I love my chubby hubby as is, but I felt bad for him when Richard was picking on him.
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 pm

OMG an audio book read by Sean himself? Love all the books and this one - the lads finally meeting with Napoleon - very classy. Rollicking good story, not one of my special favourites - think Sharpe's Sword and Sharpe's Gold are my top two. Poor sad South America still ruled by the conquistador mentality, everyone comes in and rips them off, believe me have lived there and seen it. United States of South America was really rather a good idea. Viva Simon Bolivar!
:sonnet:
dangooner
Lou, the friendly ghost

Post by dangooner » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:01 pm

This was the first Sharpe book I ever read, I remember buying it after Shape's Waterloo had been shown on ITV for the first time, and I thought it was brilliant then.

I would love to see this filmed, maybe as a two-part story?
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 pm

If they go with another one, as per rumours; they say it will be set 'on the far side of the world' which pretty well describes SA esp: Pacific coast and that would surely have to be Sharpe's Peril. Let us keep candles burning, fingers crossed etc that it will happen.
:beg: :beg: :beg:
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:32 am

You can count me in, Sharps, and I will even let not only candles but also my fingers burn if it could help ... not as if I was a martyr type, no, but I am so clumsy with candles, you know... :lol:
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 am

zlatíčko - you make me laugh but agree will burn my fingers and toes for Sean!
:lol:
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:58 am

dangooner wrote:This was the first Sharpe book I ever read, I remember buying it after Shape's Waterloo had been shown on ITV for the first time, and I thought it was brilliant then.

I would love to see this filmed, maybe as a two-part story?
Especially since Bean is at the right age for Devil. The twist at the end is great. And Cochrane is a great character--who would play him?
ImageImage
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:28 am

I am just over half way throught this story at the moment and I have to admit to struggling to put it down. I'm loving it, as much as I enjoyed Trafalgar and Sword!

I really do hope there is enough money to make this last episode, it would be so sad if it didn't happen. Cochrane is a great character but also Bautista! great villain, who would play him?
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 am

Viggo!
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am

I can almost hear the thud from here as hundreds of Sean and viggo fans hit the floor!!! :lol:
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 pm

:shots: Only Viggo! THAT chemistry has always been there between the two of them after all. Yes, Sharps! :highfive: