Sharpes Gold

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Sharpes Gold

Post by Donnadoobie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm reading Gold at the moment. How on earth did they get away with calling the TV story Sharpe's Gold? With the exception of a run in with the Provosts at the beginning, it bears no resemblance to the book at all!! At least with the other episodes there is a thread of the book running through, why not just give it another name?
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I I don't know. *shakes head* I really enjoyed the book, and I really liked the Teresa in the book more than in the films--you can see why Sharpe nicknamed her the Needle. :-D
ImageImage
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 pm

I've just finished Gold and I really did enjoy it. It is a much better story than the TV version. Anyway it's off to Sharpe's Escape. I'll let you know what I think.
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 pm

The book is wonderful and like everyone else could not see what the TV version had to do with the book. Hated the TV episode Sharpe's Gold. Load of piffle, although Sean as always is to die for. Writer should be ashamed and also the producers/directors for not sending him back to write a proper episode!!
:devil:
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 am

One year or so later, I am back here after a re-reading Gold.
Really, what a wanderful story for our hero! Yes, Sharps, it is brilliant, and I discovered more lovely things - as always while I am re-reading the books.
You can find everything here, and pity - the episode was such a horrible mess thanks to that infamous Paul McGann accident - which brought Sean to us...
Reading it is such a PLEASURE!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Nachtmar
Bean Mistress

Post by Nachtmar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm currently reading Sharpe's Gold ... in english ... it's my first english Sharpe Book and I'm thrilled ... a wonderful read, I love Bernard Cornwells style and will surely also buy all Sharpe books in english aswell.

The german Sharpes are now available until including Sharpes Eagle ... as Sharpes Gold will be available in german in july 2012, which is far to long to wait for me, I've switched to the originals ;-)

I also hope that there will be more german Sharpe audio books soon ... I love to listen to them while driving home from work ... I download them from audible.de ... they are read by german actor Thorsten Michaelis who's also often dubbing Sean in his movies down here in Germany ... nice voice ... not the original ... but nice ;-)

Love & Hugs
Susan

PS: Of course Sean's Sharpe audio books are absolutely unbeatable !!!
LadyIce
Been Adult

Post by LadyIce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 am

Nachtmar wrote:I'm currently reading Sharpe's Gold ... in english ...

PS: Of course Sean's Sharpe audio books are absolutely unbeatable !!!
I am actually just about to re-read Sharpe's Gold because I am taking a trip to visit some of the places on the Portugal-Spain border where Sharpe's adventures take place. It's a wonderful novel. My favorite part is at the end . . . But I'll not spoil it for those who haven't read it.

:agree: about the audio books. I wish Sean had been asked to narrate more than two of them. Thanks to the movies, I hear his voice as Sharpe's anyway.

Enjoy your reading, Susan.

Banner image thanks to Govi!
Nachtmar
Bean Mistress

Post by Nachtmar » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, I have finished Sharpes Gold today ... loved it, great story, finally Teresa appeared, will not spoil here though ;-) ... and this evening it's early to bed to start with Sharpes Escape :highfive:

Are you already on your way, LadyIce ? Or still looking forward to your trip ? Already back ? Would love to hear from you ... sounds like a sharpe trip to me ;-)

Love & Hugs
Susan

PS:
My favorite part is at the end . . .
... guess I meanwhile know what you mean, LadyIce :adult:
LadyIce
Been Adult

Post by LadyIce » Sat May 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Nachtmar wrote: Are you already on your way, LadyIce ? Or still looking forward to your trip ? Already back ? Would love to hear from you ... sounds like a sharpe trip to me ;-)

Love & Hugs
Susan

PS:
My favorite part is at the end . . .
... guess I meanwhile know what you mean, LadyIce :adult:
Susan, I did just return from Portugal and Spain. Need to download all my photos, but I promise to post some on the forum. It was amazing to be in some of the places Sharpe visits in the novels (and of course Bernard Cornwell has been IRL or else the novels would not be so vivid).
Oh, and I know what you mean about the end :adult: :lol: :lol:
But I was thinking more about the remarkable and massive destruction of Almeida by Sharpe. There was really an inexplicable explosion in the fortress and the ruins are still visible. ;-)

Banner image thanks to Govi!
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Sat May 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Almeida is one of my favourite Napoleonic sights to visit!
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery
Reanna
Been Adult

Post by Reanna » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

I just finished my first Sharpe book "Sharpe's Devil" It was my first introduction to the Sharpe books (only found out they even existed about 2 months ago) and i am certainly going to get them all, reading the book is like watching a dvd in slooow m o t i o n - i enjoy every minute of it.

I have all 16 Sharpe dvd's, but it makes the books so much more interesting when you can put accents and faces to the characters in the book while reading it, of course especially Sharpe's.
I have started with "Sharpe's Sword" now and i sneak a read every spare minute i get :roll:
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Enjoy Reanna; I remember when I first read the Sharpe books - wow very special. :cheer: Imust admit I much prefer the book version of Sharpe's Sword.
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 pm

I agree, Sharps - "Sword" was a great book.
Reanna - you have started at the end!! See if you can find "Sharpe's Tiger" so you can meet young Sharpe in all his rough, ignorant glory.
Reanna
Been Adult

Post by Reanna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm

I am still trying to figure out the order of the books, although i know i started with the very last one "Devil" . It was sad to read that one knowing that the Sharpe adventures has all but come to an end with that book.

In the back of Sharpe's Devil there is a list of all the novels but not sure if they actually follow in the correct order. Fortunately because i know all the Sharpe episodes's off by heart already, i'm not too lost if i don't read them in cronological (sp?)order or when they refer to past battles and things that happened. I just enjoy reading it whichever way :runaround:
I loved "Sharpe's Sword" and it would be interesting to see how much the book differs from the tv episode.
gillian
BeanToddler

Post by gillian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:54 pm

First I have seen all Sharpe's TV episodes than I have read the books, my main reason being to "improve my English" - the Cornwell books are quite easy to read once you manage some military vocabulary (not so useful) and swearing (very useful).
I admit I loved both Gold book and TV episode. The TV story with conquiscadors is really a stupid one but I really loved the development in Sharpe character – see how he gains self-assurance and changes his attitude toward his superiors. It was so well depicted by Sean Bean.