Sharpe's Escape

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Sharpe's Escape

Post by Donnadoobie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:43 am

I have just finished reading this. It has three parts and I must admit I struggled with the first part with the battle scenes etc but when the strory moved on I really enjoyed it. The historical information about the Torres Vedras was a part of Napoleonic history I knew nothing about. Wellington was very brave to put this plan into operation. The more I read about Wellington the more I respect him
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery
Lotte
Bean VIP

Post by Lotte » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 am

:agree:
Yes, Sharpe's Escape is a long one but well worth it once you get into it! I particularly liked the escape through the sewer bit.
I know what you mean about Wellington. Can't believe more isn't taught in school in the UK about possibly our greatest military leader. I am contemplating getting a biography to find out more (can't believe my SB fixation could make me a student of military history!!). I think Hugh Fraser is very good in the films, although I keep half expecting to see Poirot appear!
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 am

Lotte wrote::agree:
can't believe my SB fixation could make me a student of military history!!).
I know what you mean. I'm the same. I just bought a book on e bay called the 'Spanish Ulcer' which i'm flicking through. My husband is Spanish and I hadn't even realised that the Napoleonic wars were even in Spain until my addiction to Sharpe :oops: . My husband's cousin is quite an expert on the subject and writes books on it. unfortunaely I can't read them as they are all in Spanish
Lotte
Bean VIP

Post by Lotte » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 pm

I knew a bit about the war, but mostly from the French perspective. At school we 'did' the causes of the French revolution followed by lots of stuff about Napoleon and the revolutionary wars, but we didn't get back to the UK til 1832!
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Wll at least now we can tell our husbands that we are watching Sharpe because it's educational!! ha ha
Lotte
Bean VIP

Post by Lotte » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 pm

I've tried that one (I really did, claimed that as a historian I was watching out of interest in the period!) but I think that by the 58th viewing he'd realised it was just pure lust!
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:40 pm

It's the drooling that gives it away :drool: !!
Lotte
Bean VIP

Post by Lotte » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm

And the panting! :tongue:
Eryndil

Post by Eryndil » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:59 pm

The sewer scene. Thats all I can say. Sexy and hysterical. I loved it the best of all the books just for that part.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Allow me to return to the book (in time, I hope :lol: )
I may be wrong but this was a first book I actually realised an existence of a telegraph.
I have never give it a thought but here I realised it was NOT the first time.
Why? Well, I can remember one of Jules Verne´s less known books called The Arch of Mr Servadac ( sorry, English title not available).
It is a kind of science fiction - a comet touches the Earth and brings part of it with it, including an English garrison in the Mediterrenian. The English had a strange thing - a pole with mobile arms sending the messages. So now I feel like finding a familiar thing...
And connected to Richard and the real history! :wine:
kristin724
Bean Mistress

Post by kristin724 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:38 am

I liked Escape- the sewer run for it is really great, but did you notice the more recent Sharpe books by Cornwell are all longer and more battle-esque and I dare say a bit long winded?

I like the battle action, you can't read Sharpe and not like that kind of thing-like not liking water but reading Hornblower! I do think Cornwell has gotten carried away as the series has gone on. I've collected odd editions out of order, but I much prefer the older books that are more character centric then all rah rah.

But that's just me, an I'm still reading!

:shots:
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 am

kristin724 wrote: did you notice the more recent Sharpe books by Cornwell are all longer and more battle-esque and I dare say a bit long winded?

I like the battle action, you can't read Sharpe and not like that kind of thing-like not liking water but reading Hornblower!
I agree about the battle scenes as they are very relevant to the story but like you say they sometimes can be a bit long winded and I just want to get back into the story.

The sewer scene is a great part of the story and I did enjoy the whole book (battle scenes included)

:shooting:
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Between voting :lol: I read Escape again. Oh Slingsby, Slingsby, you little bastard...and all those incompetent fops in all Sharpe books drive me more crazy than the "full bodied" villains! These can be beaten, kïlled ot got rid of. The others have the upper hand only because they are rich or have some acquaintances at the Horse Guards.
However, I found a nice passage in the middle of the battle - if you want to try it, go to the quotes, please! :lol: