Sharpe's enemies

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

blue
Bean Mistress

Sharpe's enemies

Post by blue » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place. I didn't know, where to write this, because there is no "Sharpe's Films" category thread?!

I'm just curious, which of Sharpe's enemies do you hate/dislike the most?

Here is my list:

1. Jane Gibbons (such a bitch, how could she betray him like that...)
2. Hakeswill (what a psycho...)
3. Simmerson
4. Ducos
Last edited by blue on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eiblin
Bean Adolescent

Post by Eiblin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I am voting for...Jane Gibbons...

Others there are more or less psycho...but Jane is/was clever enough to know what she is doing and therefor her betray is particularly insidious. The scene I really really hate - when Richard burried his brother and Jane just come to him and literally barking at him, abase him... maybe his origin wasn´t as good as hers, but Richard is many times better man than she is, maybe he is sometimes rough, but he is never treacherous and dastardly!
And therefor I love Richard Sharpe (what a news :lol: ), because he is principled and has character !!!
Here's forty shillings on the drum
For those who'll volunteer to come
To 'list and fight the foe today.
Over the hills and far away.
mjcd1951
Bean VIP

Post by mjcd1951 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm

:agree: that Jane Gibbons is hateful. But Hakeswell kills Teresa and that puts him at the top of the list of villains. In some interview, Sean says that Pete is so good as Hakeswell that he almost lost his lines in the scene. Good question from Sharpe. JOY :-D :-D :-D

Sigpic made by Govi
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Hakeswill was an "honest" villain, rotten through and through but Richard always knew where he was with him. This does not condone his evil of course, and killing Teresa was the worst BUT with Jane, she was his wife for goodness sake, he trusted her, so the betrayal was much worse. Therefore I figure she is top of the baddie tree.
Masyde
Bean Mistress

Post by Masyde » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:29 pm

My vote goes to Jane also...just because she betrayed his trust and his love for her.
Thanks to Isabel for my Blade avatar!
Thanks Pudge for the beautiful signature I 'stole' from your gallery
PamMcM
Bean Mistress

Post by PamMcM » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Hakeswell
Thanks to Isabel!

LadyIce
Been Adult

Post by LadyIce » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 pm

For which enemy I hate more, I find myself wavering between Jane Gibbons and Hakeswell, but they are very different.

Jane is certainly a back-stabbing little bitch. Sharpe is gentle and caring towards her, and always tries to be faithful and to protect her. She always seems to be putting him down because he's not what she considers to be a proper gentleman -- she becomes almost as bad as her Uncle Simmerson on that score. All her little acts of selfishness add up. Then she takes advantage of Richard's trust with the money and simply decides it okay to be unfaithful.

But, Jane is weak, not evil.

To me Hakeswell is an embodiment of evil. He is intentionally cruel and abusive towards nearly everyone, and for no particular reason but because it delights him to make other's lives hell. His murder of Teresa was a foul act and Richard was perfectly justified in getting his revenge.

Banner image thanks to Govi!
mipa92toka
Bean Adolescent

Post by mipa92toka » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 am

LadyIce wrote:For which enemy I hate more, I find myself wavering between Jane Gibbons and Hakeswell, but they are very different.

Jane is certainly a back-stabbing little bitch. Sharpe is gentle and caring towards her, and always tries to be faithful and to protect her. She always seems to be putting him down because he's not what she considers to be a proper gentleman -- she becomes almost as bad as her Uncle Simmerson on that score. All her little acts of selfishness add up. Then she takes advantage of Richard's trust with the money and simply decides it okay to be unfaithful.

To me Hakeswell is an embodiment of evil. He is intentionally cruel and abusive towards nearly everyone, and for no particular reason but because it delights him to make other's lives hell. His murder of Teresa was a foul act and Richard was perfectly justified in getting his revenge.

I couldn't have said it any better! :agree:
Boromir2.gif
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:52 am

thanks for joining the discussion ladies :-D I appreciate this...

before Jane, Hakeswell was my number one, because he is really really bad :evil: but then Jane comes and I hated her even more because she was his wife, the one a husband should count on most. (and because its Richard Sharpe, any other woman would die for that, being his wife :bow: )

And I really didn't see that coming, so I was totally shocked about her.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am

For which enemy I hate more, I find myself wavering between Jane Gibbons and Hakeswell, but they are very different.

I like this, LadyIce, and I agree
[Image
Moominmamma
Viggo's Celestial Angel No 1

Post by Moominmamma » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 pm

:agree: with LadyIce and Czechmaid too! I vote for Hakeswill. :-D
Bravo
Bean Baby

Post by Bravo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi everyone, I thought this was a great place to start posting. I'm knee deep in the Sharpe Series having just discovered the saga.

My vote is for Jane. In my mind, by her betrayal alone she outclasses Hakeswill in the most hated enemy department. . Hakeswell incites rage in Sharpe, and his response is clear…he wants him dead. Jane causes conflicting emotions of heartache and humiliation mixed up with his onetime love. Sharpe will never be able give her what she truly deserves. Throwing Sharpe's love back in his face puts Jane at the top of my most hated villain list. I'm with you blue, "how could she?"

Hakeswill comes in a close second for being a sheer evil psychopath played to perfection by the actor Pete Postlethwaite.
Eiblin
Bean Adolescent

Post by Eiblin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Just small summary of voting:

Jane 5 : Hakeswill 6 (if I counting right)

no vote for Simmerson or Ducos...
Here's forty shillings on the drum
For those who'll volunteer to come
To 'list and fight the foe today.
Over the hills and far away.