Advice needed for a football newbie

Talk about your favorite sport here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

LadyIce
Been Adult

Advice needed for a football newbie

Post by LadyIce » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Watching the World Cup games this time around was so much fun. I was rooting for the USA first, then England, and at the end I was really, really hoping The Netherlands would win out. But Spain managed to come out ahead right at the end.

I never really liked watching team sports on tv, except baseball, which is what I grew up with. But this past month has changed my viewpoint. Partly, I think it's because other people around me were excited about it too.

I have some European coworkers who were talking about it all month. They told me that Manchester City FC is playing an exhibition game in Baltimore versus Internazionale Milano on 31 July, but unfortunately I'll be out in the countryside that weekend with friends.

Does anyone out there know which USA cable networks carry international football games and what times?

Can I see games streaming over the internet?

How does one stuck on the wrong side of the Pond even follow teams like The Blades?

Finally, any advice where I can catch live International Football in that place where it's weirdly known as "Soccer"?

Banner image thanks to Govi!
londonlou
BeanToddler

Post by londonlou » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Lady Ice...you can always watch the international matches on the internet. Whether they are free or not depends on the match being played. The same goes for for the top teams/games in the Premier League. Match of The Day is the big round up of the weeks matches shown on British T.V on a Saturday night. Don't know how/if you could access that from America. Unfortunately, as Sheffield United are a Championship league team (second division in real terms) they are not often televised. But I do find you can always find bits and pieces on the net. Good luck!
LadyIce
Been Adult

Post by LadyIce » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:30 pm

londonlou wrote:Lady Ice...you can always watch the international matches on the internet. Whether they are free or not depends on the match being played. The same goes for for the top teams/games in the Premier League. Match of The Day is the big round up of the weeks matches shown on British T.V on a Saturday night. Don't know how/if you could access that from America. Unfortunately, as Sheffield United are a Championship league team (second division in real terms) they are not often televised. But I do find you can always find bits and pieces on the net. Good luck!
Thanks for some details, londonlou! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
A coworker told me that his son records Premier League matches and some of the International football sports news shows on one of the ESPN channels in the local cable network.
I will definitely try to see if I can find streaming games online.

:runaround: Just found out a new sports bar in the area is broadcasting English matches live on their huge TVs -- so that would be around breakfast/brunch time around here on certain Saturdays. I'm going to check that out too. Might meet a few folks who likewise enjoy English football. I'm pretty sure most of the matches are Premier League.

Banner image thanks to Govi!