Sharpe´s Siege

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Czechmade
Bean VIP

Sharpe´s Siege

Post by Czechmade » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 am

As you can see, I go on steady. Steady, boys. But now, after reading 3 chapters, I had to stop because I became so outraged on Richard´s behalf! His talk to Harper finished me completely. Looking at both British and French commanding officers, one must only shake her head. What an incompetence, what evil minds, self-importance - and one really competent man treated like an inferior (I know, I know - he actually WAS, thanks to his backgroud), but still...
Sorry, I had to vent my bellicose emotions and where else but here, with you?
I will be back later, hopefully with more sense.
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 am

Hi Czechmade - how is Sharpe's Siege going?
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:18 am

Ah, my friend, here I try do deal with a so far "undiscovered country" in Richard´s character. It is his relation to Jane. Here I somehow see the core of the following disaster: he just idealises her. Worried sick about her health, nightmares and distractions - just William seems to see the core of the problem whan he tells Sharpe that his marriage weakened him.
And also can you see this? William asks:"If you weren´t married, would you surrender?"
(Sharpe) "No."
Nothing can change what has already been built through years of fight and friendship - Sharpe´s somehow harsh sense of honour and responsibility has developed very painfully through doubts, bitter disappointments, humiliation, even "trial and error", as well as physical pain. If you think further on, how could Jane think to tame this mind, to own him or (god forbids!) re-make him into an elegant, quick-mouthed decoration of her saloon?
Enough of Jane :puke: (sorry, too tempting).
There is another interesting part. We can see Richard on the ship with the Comte, who says he is waiting for liberty to be reborn in France. How beautiful it sounds! But Sharpe´s life created quite a different view: "The monarchists and the anti-monarchists, the Republicans and the anti-Republicans, the Bonapartists and the Bourbons, all carried the word around as if it was a genie trapped in a bottle and they were the sole possessors of the world´s corkcsrew." I like this because what actually has changed? And the ideal of liberty was far away for a common soldier, who was literally a tool for all those who "possessed the corkscrew".
Well, somehow this book goes deeper, it may be thanks to miserable weather here!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:00 am

I love Sweet William :smile: I love the friendship between Sharpe and Frederickson.

I think it's those relationships that make us love the characters and the books.

Jane, Jane, Jane :puke: :puke: :puke: - - love is blind when it comes to Sharpie. But, she's the unatainable fantasy for him, a woman/girl he falls in love with from a portrait that he steals, a web of lies when he first meets her, and then he's the knight in shinning armor that rescues her. Sharpe, who has transcended his status at birth to become an officer, the attainment of lady Jane is a dream for him. But he doesn't see the real Jane until it's too late.You are right, she wants to make him a gentleman. She worries what will Sharpe do in society when the war is over.

We remember the name Lassan...fate...Sharpe's future.

I like the fact that Cornwell brings in the Americans as well, and even the War of 1812. So many interesting side stories in this book.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm

I am approaching the end. Yes, you are right, the story is very rich in interesting and even fatal connections!
What I also love ( besides friendship and loyalty) is a view of Richard´s inner demons: doubts and normal, human fear. Nothing superhuman, just a man who feels fear of pain, death, defeat...whatever. Everything what even we would feel there. But being Sharpe, he hides it - and again, no matter how deep he hides it, his friend can see through his facade.
I am aware of the fact that Siege is somehow different from the other books. I read and read eagerly but now I have to stop here and there.
Thinking of American Marines, I read an excellent fanfiction called Sharpe´s Gator in Sharpetorium. It is realy very good, very Cornwell-like and tells a fictive story about Sharpe´s participation in Anglo-American war based on real history.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 am

Only a short on: I have finished. For some unknown reason, Siege has been the most disturbing novel (so far). I felt quite bloodthirsty at the end - I wished all the "bad guys" were punished - mainly Bampfylde and Wigram and of course Ducos - but Ducos is a resident villain after all, so I can put up with him. However living with such horrible enemies on his own side - and be absolutely helpless, watching them escape again and again only because they paid for their ranks... well, poor Richard.
I am very sorry for Hogan. What will Sharpe do without him? It looks like he is supposed to lose all good people around. How can he bear all this?
And - as I know what expects him with Jane :puke: , I just take Revenge in my hands with a kind of apprehension...
loogthan
BeanToddler

Sharpe's Siege

Post by loogthan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 pm

How is the film different from the original novel? I’m curious about how he first met Jane ( I recall reading one post where it is explained that he first sees her portrait years before he actually meets her in Regiment) so I’m not sure of how they changed it in the film. It is simply mentioned by Simmerson that Jane admires Richard and Richard tells Patrick he met her when she was younger.

Also, what are the similarities between “Mission” and the novel? I think it is the only one which is not listed as a separate topic here.
I am neither monk nor prince. So I would choose a tavern. - Richard Sharpe
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:25 pm

You are right. In the novels Richard has met Jane before he goes back as recruit in 'Sharpes Regiment'

In the TV episode of Regiment, Richard meets Jane when he has slipped away and is hiding beind a gate in a small garden area. Jane's dog runs off and Jane finds herself alone with Richard. It is clear from this encounter that they have both met before although this is never shown in the series.

'Mission' is not one of the novels written by Bernard Cornwell. It is purely a TV episode, as is 'Sharpe's Justice'

'Sharpes Challenge' is a combination of the three India books ( Tiger, Triumph and Fortress) and 'Peril' is another TV only story.

I hope this is helpful
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery