The Killing

Discuss non-Sean movies !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

crystal
Bean Adolescent

The Killing

Post by crystal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi, everyone! I just finished watching the first season of a cable show (AMC) that I think is one of the best, if not the best, TV shows I have ever seen, so I wanted to share about it. It's called 'The Killing'. It is based on a similarly-themed show from Denmark (We only have antenna TV, so I have to rent cable shows and am always a year behind). I've read that season two is beginning this Sunday.

The show is about the killing of a young woman, and each of the 13 episodes represents one day in the investigation. It is understated, character-driven, moody, has marvelous cinematography, beautiful settings (the often rainy, gray ocean setting of Seattle is very fitting for the sad and sombre nature of the plot), some of the most interesting characters I've ever encountered, and it refrains from sensationalizing anything, but examines the stress and grief of such a situation in quiet, sensitive terms. Plus the plot is absolutely riveting and full of surprises and mysteries! I was so surprised at the end of the last episode; I had assumed they would wrap up the case and the next season would start a new case, but as it turned out, the case will be ongoing for the next season.

Of course, one of my first thoughts was, why couldn't Sean be in a TV show of this quality? :-D (For those of you following the 'Missing' discussion in Spoilers).
[center]Image[/center]
[center]This banner is from Isabel's gallery. Thank you, Isabel![/center]
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Crystal, I Love this show :-D I just watched it last year because I did watch the danish version and they are fantastic. You have to watch them too!!

The second reason is Joel Kinnaman. I am a big fan of him since I saw him in Johan Falk two years ago. He was awesome!! :flirt: :flirt:
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 pm

By the way, what do you think about the season final? I was a bit baffled at first, because I didn't See that coming... :thud:
crystal
Bean Adolescent

Post by crystal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:57 pm

blue, I was totally shocked by the turn it took at the end! I was so sure it was going to wrap up nice and neat. :shock:

I had never so much as heard of Joel Kinnaman. I think his character is so interesting. He didn't exactly strike me as good looking (of course he was made to look very scruffy), but I found him so sexy! I kept thinking that there was no way I would be able to sit in a car with him for any length of time (as Linda did) without my hands straying . . . :-D

Thank you so much for the suggestion about the Danish version, and Johan Falk. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be listed on Netflix. I see that you are in Austria. I wonder if these shows are viewable in America? If so, perhaps they will make it to Netflix eventually. Or perhaps we need to start thinking about Satellite TV. :-D
[center]Image[/center]
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Yeah the viewers really got angry Last year. The boards were full with discussions about the finale :shock:

Maybe Amazon offers the Danish Version on DVD??

Yes in Austria and Germany there are lots of scandinavian movies and series on TV. The danish Version is really awesome !!

In reality he looks really hot :flirt: I just Love his way of acting. He is able to make Holder sexy, even if he looks skeevy :flirt:

And I still dont know who killed Rosie Larsen :shots:
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 pm

The season opener was chock-full of revelations. Just as I was thinking the pace was a little slow, it took a turn into the tense: conspiracies and secrets thick in the air. Also the killer is still on the loose. :shock: And no rain! :lol: Last year I was beginning to think Seattle suffered under perpetual showers.
I think I'm going to stick with it.
ImageImage
crystal
Bean Adolescent

Post by crystal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 pm

I guess I'd better stay out of this thread now, since I have to wait a year to see this. :-D
[center]Image[/center]
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 am

Terry, there was rain :-D during the scene, where Holder come to the Larsens because of Rosie's pink backpack, that Mitch found on the street.

crystal, 1 year? puuh thats hard :thud:
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 pm

That's right. But just that one scene, I think. I was just happy that they had a couple of scenes with sunshine. :lol:
ImageImage
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:19 am

aaah, my heart breaks because of Holder. Poor guy was so lost in last episode :cry:

I think it was a mistake of Stan, to ask the mob for help. It seemed that they have something to do with the case and Beau Soleil :thud:

What do you think Terry?
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:03 pm

My vote is still on the creepy owner of the basketball team who likes underage girls--forgot his name--who donated to Richmond's campaign last year. But, he could also have links to the mob and prostitution/Beau Soleil...

Poor Holder. He let his ambition get the better of him.
ImageImage
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I think his name is Tom?! I tought the same last season, but I'm just not sure. Its really hard to find a prime suspect, because everybody seems to have something to do with the case :thud:

I also think there is something with Terry the aunt? I think she was in Beau Soleil too?! And the one she called a few time (where she cried upstairs in episode 2), I think its either Senator Eaton or the Mayor, with whom she has/had an affair?! Remember the expensive crystal she talked about with her nephew. It must be an older man?! maybe I am thinking to much about it :-D
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm still sticking with this, because, dammit! I gotta know who killed Rosie Larsen! All these false suspects are getting to me.
ImageImage
blue
Bean Mistress

Post by blue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Terry wrote:I'm still sticking with this, because, dammit! I gotta know who killed Rosie Larsen! All these false suspects are getting to me.
You are Not alone with this :shots:
Kizzy
Bean VIP

Post by Kizzy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Funny to read this thread - I've never seen The Killing, but being Danish I have seen the first season of "Forbrydelsen" (which incidentally translates into "the crime" and not "the killing"). It didn't turn me on really, so I've skipped season 2, but maybe I'll have a look at season 3 since it'll be the last. They're only just finishing editing it now.

You can buy the Danish version on Amazon.co.uk (with English subtitles of course).

And if you like political drama describing the shenanigans of a minority government with an inexperienced but competent woman prime minister at its head and all the family issues that ensue too, you might enjoy "Borgen" (translates as "the castle" - the nickname for Christiansborg Castle/Palace where the Danish Parliament sits).
It gave me a very queer feeling to watch, particularly season 2 because a week or two after each episode reality would imitate art and produce some incident which was very like what the series had described. And the script had been written about a year earlier, so that was really weird.
That too is available from Amazon.co.uk ...
They are finishing the shooting of the third and last season of that too.

Sorry for going on like this - but Denmark has suffered from very amateurish television for decades. It's nice that we've 'grown up' in that area within the last decade or so.

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge