Brassed Off

Discuss non-Sean movies !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

morvgal58

Brassed Off

Post by morvgal58 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I finally caught up and watched Pete Postlethwaite's "Brassed Off" last night and found myself alternately cheering and sobbing. However far I stray from Yorkshire, a brass band brings me zinging right back. What a truly remarkable, emotional film, showing in such poignant detail a community and way of life that has so recently all but disappeared. All the 'usual suspects' character actors were in there, each one doing a perfect job, but even they were eclipsed by Pete who was just enthralling. What a sad loss he is. Has anyone else seen this film? What did you think of it?
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

I have seen it once, somewhere in the mid-nineties. To be honest I don't remember the story details after all those years, just the impression of having seen a very good movie with great roles, esp. Pete's of course. I've seen a lot of his performances until now, and each and every one of them was a genuine jewel. He was one of the greatest contemporary British actors in my opinion, at least I can't recall anyone leaving equal mark on my mind. I don't think he was appreciated as he ought to be.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

Post by Kizzy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I have it on DVD - it's one of my 'North England' favourites together with The Full Monty, Priest and Billy Elliot.
It's a great little movie - story-wise it is better than When Saturday Comes.
You did notice that Melanie Hill plays Pete Postlethwaite's daughter-in-law, right?

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
carlassean
Sean addict

Post by carlassean » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:44 am

I really enjoyed this film... may have to netflix it again
Wonderful acting
Thanks to Luinelle
dialogos
Been Adult

Post by dialogos » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:49 pm

:highfive:

I've seen this film several times and enjoyed it very much.
Pete P. is great as usual and I liked Ewen M. also.