Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
BBC to produce epic War and Peace series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pudge
PhD with Honours in Bean Studies (Pics)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: BBC to produce epic War and Peace series Reply with quote
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2280558/War-Peace-dramatised-BBC-starring-Eddie-Redmayne.html

This sounds epic! Hasn't been done in 40 years. There's just got to be a part in there for Sean! I would imagine every agent in London will be trying to get their client's in this!

Pudge
PhD with Honours in Bean Studies (Pics)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: BBC to produce epic War and Peace series Reply with quote
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2280558/War-Peace-dramatised-BBC-starring-Eddie-Redmayne.html

This sounds exciting! Hasn't been done in 40 years. There's just got to be a part in there for Sean! I would imagine every agent in London will be trying to get their client(s) in this!

amelia
Been Adult

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a lot of book to pack into 6 episodes. I loved the adaptation BBC did all those years ago. I've been trying to think of a character that Sean could play. Too bad he's too old to play Pierre. That would have been a great role for him. So, Natasha's father, a Russian general? If he should be cast in W&P what part would you like to see him play?
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the old BBC series on DVD - 20 episodes if I remember correctly. Very good - a bit 'lighter' than the Russian film version but very 'thorough'.

There was an international European version in 6 episodes from 2007 with Clemence Poesy as Natasha in English. I didn't know a lot of the names, but they had Malcolm McDowell as Prince Bolkonsky (Andrei's father).

The 2007 series works quite well, and it is my brother's favourite, but I still prefer the very long version from 1972 with Anthony Hopkins as Pierre.

I also saw the Hollywood version (Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda etc.) and liked that, and I remember seeing the Russian version. I must admit that one was a bit heavy going sometimes, but so is the novel when Tolstoy gets all philosphical ....

Andrew Davies can be a bit bland in his adaptations sometimes, though Bleak House was really good. It will be interesting to see what he makes of War and Peace.

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: