Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Lone Ranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkFloydFan30
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: The Lone Ranger Reply with quote
I went to see the Lone Ranger last night, and i really enjoyed it. Armie Hammer is quite a handsome young man too

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't been to see "The Lone Ranger " yet...But hope to this week. My daughter has seen it twice...and loved it! Of course she is a fan of Johnny/Tonto...He can do no wrong. So I will report my opinion once I get to see this movie...

Marnie

Special Thanks to Govi for the fabulous sigpic
marniemckay
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We went to see TLR film yesterday evening. I enjoyed the film very much. As we are going through a 90 plus heat wave currently, it was nice to get into a cool theatre. I was impressed with the visuals of this western being filmed on location in Arizona...I think! It is nice to see real actors playing parts in the actual place where this story unfolded. I do not think it turned out to be the huge boxoffice hit the Disney productions hoped for but for me I enjoyed this western.....even though this interpretation of legend folklore was very very different from the Lone Ranger tv series!
Hammer was a handsome figure on the beautiful white horse, Silver. I liked it that this story turned Silver into a spirit animal. That made some of the special effects rather believable. Depps portrayal of Tonto was entertaining and interesting. The telling of Tonto's story gave some depth to all the outlandish action in the film. However I enjoyed all of it.
I know of the actor Wm Fichtner who played Butch C. the awful nasty villain. To me he played this evil character with flair. I came away remembering his performance as the most impressive of the film...even over all the antics of Depp's Tonto! Wm Fichtner just as he calls himself a working actor...not a big movie star!
As a little girl...I always watched The Lone Ranger tv series. Being drawn to love horses....Silver was always my fav horse after Roy Rogers Trigger. So you all have to forgive this ole-American gal who always loved the western cowboy and his horse...or even the cowgirl and her horse.
Films like this are on the decline....an actual western filmed on location with good actors who most of them did their own stunts.
Lots of action and antics...made for an enjoyable movie for me..
Marnie

PinkFloydFan30
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnny Depp was great as tonto. I thought his character was funny at times during the movie. I didn't really think i was going to like the movie, but i did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also saw it last night. I enjoyed it and as it's a Disney movie, made by the makers of Pirates of the Carribean the tongue in cheek is expected but I do find a few things bothered me.
It's way too long and the little boy and old Indian story teller part was unnecessary and a waste of time. This was basically Pirates of the Carribean in the West.
Even the one bad guy who likes to wear women's clothes after a raid was like - are you serious ?? him too ? He stepped straight of the Pirate ship into the wild west. He even looks like the same pirate actor but I don't think it is him. The Lone Ranger I grew up with always wore a gun and this one doesn't want to know about a gun ? (I eventually realised the Lone Ranger was the Prince in Sean's 'Mirror Mirror' )
I love Johny Depp and I love Westerns, lots of shooting and dying and such, but I hope this LR doesn't become Johny Depp's "Airborne" There were only 4 other people with me in a theatre of 250 - was discount night and it only opened on Friday... not a good start.
But I liked it, even with all the things that bothered me Laughing
morvgal58

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marnie and Reanna, thank you for the reviews. I will certainly get it when it comes out on DVD, as I do not fancy a dubbed-into-French version here. I used to adore Trigger too, Marnie. Have you ever seen the very funny Paleface scene, where Trigger is in bed with Bob Hope? Hilarious.
marniemckay
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I am older than dirt...I probably have seen that Trigger scene with Bob Hope! But I do not remember it! As for this Lone Ranger movie...I am sorry it didn't do better at the box office. Perhaps the younger movie-going crowd doesn't even know anything about the very successful Lone Ranger western and tv series!
I might add I thought the kid and the old Tonto story arch...was very unnecessary..and as someone here mentioned...the bad guy with the lace over his head is from Pirates. Maybe Johnny Depp is just supportive to some of the lesser known actors from his successful Pirate series.
However there were some good points to the story...Just my two cents...And I did like how much the spirit horse,Silver save Tonto and the Lone Ranger!
Marnie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: