Sharpe Cut

All about the man

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 pm

I have now read this book three times, and it is fascinating, particularly for the connection (or lack of it) between Sean and the author. I think he was rightly very suspicious of her, and she certainly seemed determined to get in a lot of digs at him. Despite this, I was amused by the way his complex personality kept catching her out....he's a much more subtle man than she gave him credit for and I feel he won this battle on points! And the photos are terrific.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

Post by Kizzy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm

I totally agree Morvgal. It's an interesting book in many ways.

I was a bit disappointed in the book in some ways. I was expecting something a bit more in-depth, where basically she's writing a diary of her 'first impressions' of the shoot which comes across as a little superficial to me.
But it's perfect for relating her puzzlement over Sean and the lack of connection that you mention Morvgal. I don't think she quite realizes how far "off connection" she is.
And I totally agree that Sean wins on points - and without "giving anything away" - it was on his terms. I like him the more for that, not letting himself be manipulated but just being himself ...

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Those excerpts I've had a chance to read courtesy of Govi seem to me to be actually very amusing, in a way, at least. There is a good deal of somewhat reluctant hero worshipping in the way she's describing Sean. If you look more closely at this text, she's constantly using the trick of building up criticisms just to contradict them by presenting a proof against them. What is left of all this critic is an image of an unfathomable chameleon, tough-guy-cum-who-is-that-welder-who-is-served-hand-and-foot-by-princes :lol: In short, I think Sean was fascinating her. Her apparent problem was that it didn't work both ways...
Kizzy
Bean VIP

Post by Kizzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 am

I agree, Astrid - and that she started off being offended by his reserve, and did not understand him at all.
She came with certain expectations, and he did not oblige by living up to them, but simply swatted her away like an irritating fly (metaphorically, I mean :smile: ). She notes the crew's reaction to his initial reserve too - and seems to share their early reservations.
I think she's been used to being able to charm her way into other people's trust, but that didn't work with Sean, and even at the end of the book I had the feeling that she was still puzzled why it hadn't worked. Reluctant admiration I think is what she ended up with, but still not understanding him at all, and there's a sort of upside-down snobbery in some of her remarks.
Reading the book I ended up feeling quite impatient with her at times, and admired Sean for his forbearance.
That man must have developed an ability to suffer idiots gladly (or at least pretend to) which I certainly don't have.

Kizzy

Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 am

You are probably right, in the beginning she's assuming a sort of attitude that shows she is used to be courted to by the interviewed victims, in hope to be presented by her in a favourable way. She is obviously expecting him to do his best to impress her and gets none of that game. I suppose Sean's indifference to her opinion about him miffed and intrigued her enormously :lol:
Kizzy
Bean VIP

Post by Kizzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

I think Sean's indifference to publicity-seeking people's opinions intrigues a lot of them :roll:

They can't understand such indifference from a true celebrity - they want Tom Cruise (and look what that gets them :puke: ) ....

Kizzy :lol:

Beany
Bean Mistress

Post by Beany » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I have this book at home , and I've been quite often looking at or into it.
I agree to morvgal58, Astrid Hagen, and Kizzy. The writer / author seems to be totally frustrated.
On one side she is drawn to Sean, but can't admit it. On the other side she is so rude , or she talks about things that are not true.

I was so mad at her saying that Sean "passsed out" after the Team Party .
Sean said at once - he slept. He did not pass out.
What a rude , impolite disgusting kind of talking or even writing about someone you are supposed to make a story about!
Editrix
Bean Teen

Post by Editrix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 am

I read the quotes that Govi provided and it appears that the "writer" is very ambivalent about her subject. It seems she can't make up her mind to like him or hate him. I guess she expected Beanie to work the room like a politician and I guess he seems to be an individual who is shy around strangers and has to warm up to people before letting people in. So, he's an introvert instead of an extrovert. Most actors are like that. And since he has been in the business since his twenties, he has heard all the bull that anyone can hear in the business.

But I got a kick that he and the young'un disappeared in the elevator for two hours and that they later fell asleep by the pool after staying up and drinking. Ah, but our boy likes his young'uns!
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I agree, Editrix - and they obviously like him too!
gmcw
Bean VIP

Post by gmcw » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:02 am

I bought and read the book a couple of years ago. My recollections of it was that the author started out attempting a "hatchet job" on Bean and ended up really liking him in spite of herself. She did seem disappointed that her new found admiration for him wasn't reciprocated.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Well said, Astrid and Kizzy!!!! :highfive:
[Image
mohraa
Bean Adolescent

Post by mohraa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:07 pm

:bigthanks: :bigthanks: :bigthanks: