Sheffield United FC

Talk about your favorite sport here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Lessa

Post by Lessa » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:22 pm

Do you think you have a realistic chance to win the replay at Boro?
Everbean1

Post by Everbean1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:04 pm

I believe we have a very good chance to win at Boro. Of course, Boro will be defending their home ground and will throw everything they have at us, but we are up for the challenge. Blackwell can, and from the way the lads performed for him, motivate our players to believe that nothing is out of reach and all things are possible. Saturday against QPR will be the first league match to test Blackwell and see if the players will respond to his more in-your-face style of managing.

UTB!
Sammi
Lessa

Post by Lessa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:09 pm

well good luck
Dancing Bean

Post by Dancing Bean » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm

I watched the match last Saturday, mainly hoping and praying for a glimpse of you-know-who :oops: and I heard the fans sing the Chip Butty Song, lol!

Let's hope they win through to the next round.
kittylass
Been Adult

Post by kittylass » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:39 am

I saw the extended time of the replay last night, sort of stumbled onto it... :cry:
I was really into it (which was a bit of a surprise), and that goal was so weird. I really felt for the goalie, I think he did so well for what I saw of the game.

I don't know much (anything) about the league and championship... but this was bad, right?
jd4sb
Bean Mistress

Post by jd4sb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Oh dear. :cry:

Blades 0
Charlton 2

Wonder if Sean was there? or maybe he's in India already..
Toastie
Bean VIP

Post by Toastie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 am

Some good news for Sean today. The Blades complaint against West Ham and their plea for compensation have been upheld by the independent tribunal which has been looking into the case for weeks now. So vindication for SU and unless West Ham are allowed to appeal, hefty compensation money. Result! :cheer:

Hope this cheers them up ahead of tonight's potential crushing by mighty Arsenal away at the Emirates. On recent performance, I'm not sure I can bear to look!

:roll:
farrell1009
Been Adult

Post by farrell1009 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:51 pm

:thankyou: THANKS Toastie!!!! This is fantastic news! Some vindication at last! (I thought all of it was over--but no matter--this is so great!)

This should be a great boost to the team--I hope they come up and put Arsenal in their place, regardless. It woud make the victory double-sweet!

:cheer: :highfive: :cheer: :runaround: :cheer: GO BLADES!!!
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." ~ Anais Nin
beanyfan
Bean VIP

Post by beanyfan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:09 pm

6-0 to Arsenal I gather. :cry: Maybe 30 million is a bit of a sweetener??
farrell1009
Been Adult

Post by farrell1009 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:18 am

So The Blades lost the Steel City Derby 1- Nil. :cry:

Does anyone know if Sean was seen at the game? I remember seeing a quote from him that he had tickets for Sunday's match. I hate being stuck in the US and not being able to see televised games...Anyone else able to see Sunday's match?
Pudge
PhD with Honours in Bean Studies (Pics)

Post by Pudge » Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm

I guess this needs to be posted here. Wasn't sure. I wonder if Sean will fly out from Germany for this? Maybe he wrote it into his Black Death contract. LOL!!! I had to giggle when the writer said that Sean filmed Lady Chatterley "a few years ago"!! :roll:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed7faaf2-4570 ... abdc0.html

Man of steel, man of iron

Published: May 20 2009 22:40 | Last updated: May 20 2009 22:40

Bank holiday Monday looms, and with it a day of destiny for two sets of hardened football fans. Sheffield United are playing Burnley at Wembley stadium to claim the third and final promotion spot for next season’s Premier League. The stakes are high. Victory in this modern-day war of the roses will be worth tens of millions of pounds.

Intriguingly, the match propels two celebrity football fans into a tense head-to-head confrontation. Sean Bean, heart-throb actor, screen villain in Patriot Games and the James Bond movie GoldenEye, is a Sheffield United fan born and bred. He has a tattoo on his left shoulder that declares him to be “100 per cent Blade” (Sheffield = steel town, hence “the Blades”), which caused the director Ken Russell some difficulty when he was filming a version of Lady Chatterley’s Lover for the BBC a few years ago. Some scenes required the actor to remove his shirt, along with other items of clothing.

Burnley’s most famous supporter is Alastair Campbell, former director of communications and strategy for Tony Blair, now a blogger, political analyst, award-winning charity fundraiser and triathlete. “I feel so sorry for people who do not get football,” he wrote on his blog recently after watching Burnley win through to Monday’s decider. “Both my sons were with me and there are few greater father-son hugs than the ones which follow a goal scored right in front of you.”

With any luck, the TV effects microphones will pick up two of the game’s most colourful but infrequently heard football songs during Monday’s match. Sheffield United fans have their own version of John Denver’s “Annie’s song” – the “Greasy Chip Butty” song, whose lyrics are as follows:

You fill up my senses,

Like a gallon of Maggots [John Smith’s beer]

Like a packet of Woodbines

Like a good pinch of snuff

Like a night out in Sheffield

Like a greasy chip butty

Like Sheffield United

Come thrill me again.

Na na na na na na (ooh!)

Na na na na na na (ooh! ooh!)

Burnley’s fans sing their own version of The Pogues’ “Wild Rover”, whose lyrics are too rude to reproduce here. Suffice to say it is not complimentary about their Lancashire rivals, Blackburn Rovers.

Yes, Monday will be a historic day. Burnley were founder members of the Football League in 1882, while Sheffield United are only a few years younger (founded in 1889). Either team would make a fitting addition to the top flight. But as for a fight between Mr Bean and Mr Campbell, well, I’m keeping out of it:

“’Tis dangerous when the baser nature comes / Between the pass and fell incensèd points / Of mighty opposites.” (Hamlet, Act V, Scene ii)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[center]Image
[/center]
Pudge

Post by Pudge » Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 am

If you have satellite or cable, the U.S. ladies should be able to get this game on Monday. Just click on this link and it allows you to put in your zip code and select what company you have for satellite or cable. It will then give you the time and channel and if you can get it televised. I believe it's already programmed to find the Sheffield championship game...........

http://areyouwatchingthis.com/my/lineup ... 2F15717115
[center]Image
[/center]
norskmom
Been Adult

Post by norskmom » Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 am

Thanks Pudge! :bow:
Sharpe Chef
Pudge

Post by Pudge » Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 am

:cheer: :runaround: Just found out I get the channel that it's going to be on! I guess I'll either record it or set the alarm and get up at 7:00AM to watch it live!
[center]Image
[/center]
farrell1009
Been Adult

Post by farrell1009 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 am

Me too! thanks for the info Pudge. Can't wait! Up the Blades!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: