Sharpe's Trafalgar

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

rocknrollheart49

Sharpe's Trafalgar

Post by rocknrollheart49 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 am

Ladies....Great idea!

Trafalgar is one of my fav Sharpe books.

It takes place after the 1st 3 India books and Ensign Sharpe is on his way home to England in about 1805. Most of the story takes place on the seas and at the end Sharpe is of involved in the Battle of Trafalgar.

What was different about this story other then taking place on the seas and not on land, is the romance. Bernard Cornwell isnt know for his romance story lines (even the ones with Theresa you have to use your imagination!) But the scenes with Lady Grace are very well written.

Sean is perfect in the movies but I prefer the books as the characters and events are not so one dimensional. And of course in my mind I see Sean Bean as Sharpe as I'm reading the books.

I can highly recomment this book in the Sharpe series....I could hardly put it down and was sad to have to take it back to the library.

:wave:
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 am

I agree with you about his romance with Lady Grace. A true match for Sharpie.

Sad they never filmed Sharpe's Trafalgar - too expensive I imagine - difficult to do in the days before CGI. Would have made a wonderful "theatrical" film. Always interesting to see how Cornwell's plot explains how Sharpe gets to be in this famous battle. Sharpe's a bit like "Forrest Gump" ....

Yes - Teresa in the book and Teresa in the series..mmm... One of the few instances that I find the character and romance better in the series than in the book. Still wander why they changed the timeline of Teresa's appearance (and demise) in the series from the books?

I started to read the books after seeing the first few episodes of Sharpe on PBS, so like you I see and hear Sean as Sharpe - and the other characters as well- Harper,Hogan, etc.
rocknrollheart49

Post by rocknrollheart49 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:32 pm

hklettuce06 wrote:I agree with you about his romance with Lady Grace. A true match for Sharpie.

Yes - Teresa in the book and Teresa in the series..mmm... One of the few instances that I find the character and romance better in the series than in the book. Still wander why they changed the timeline of Teresa's appearance (and demise) in the series from the books?
hklettuce.....I believe I read either on the old BBB or on the Buffs that Sean wasn't orginally cast as RS. The actor, Paul Mcgann (spelling?), who was cast as RS was hurt while on location and wasnt able to fulfill his contract.

So then they cast Sean (TG!) but had to change the script which was to be based on the book Sharpe's Gold where Theresa is first introduced in the books. Something about worrying about being sued and insurance? Sorry dont remember all the details and I dont know how to post links.

So they changed the Theresa story line to Sharpe's Rifles. Best when you watch the movies to not think too much about the books and when you read the books to forget about the movies (other then to imagine Sean's lovely voice! lol!)

Hope I explained this so it makes sense.

:runaround:
silverbuttons

Post by silverbuttons » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Yeah, Paul McGann damaged his knee (think it was his knee. Knee or ankle) playing football/soccer on the set with the chosen men whilst filming Gold and because of the largest insurance claim in TV ever and or legal action they had to abandon the screenplay and start from scratch in a big hurry. There was 6 weeks I think between Paul going out and Sean coming in.

As for Trafalgar. It's possible. There are the ships in the UK or ones that could be used from the US. I think though that as much as I love Sean that I don't think that he should be used I think that they should get a younger actor to play Sharpe. A lookalike obviously who'd have to have the accent but not Sean. Yes I know that another actor is not going to compare but I just don't think that they can film it with Sean for the earlier books. It just doesn't work. Now, Sharpe's Devil. That could be interesting as it's set after Waterloo.

I love the book it's one of my faves mostly because of the RN action but also the Lady Grace character was great. It's such a shame that there was never any secondary plot involving her.
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:52 pm

rocknrollheart and silverbuttons - thanks for the info.

I knew Paul McGann had originally been selected as Sharpe (lucky accident for us that it ended up being Sean). I didn't know that it had affected the chronology of the story, and the reason why Gold is nothing at all like the book. Interesting :thanksies:

I agree it's best to see the series and the book as separate. I would say the series is more inspired by the books than true to the books.
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry for a double post here.

I just finished re-reading Sharpe's Trafalgar after not having read it for years. There was a secion that struck me funny when I read it again now (possible SPOILER).

Lady Grace being confronted by her husband Lord William Hale about her affair with Sharpe. He's talking about the virtues and faithfulnesss of Penelope,wife of Odysseus, and lamenting why Lady Grace was not as faithful to Lor William. Lady Grace answers (and I'm paraphrasing since I don't have the book with me) that maybe she would have, had she been married to Odysseus. Of course, my thoughts this time ran to:
hmmsharpe
Bean Mistress

Post by hmmsharpe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:10 am

hklettuce06 wrote:Sorry for a double post here.

I just finished re-reading Sharpe's Trafalgar after not having read it for years. There was a secion that struck me funny when I read it again now (possible SPOILER).

Lady Grace being confronted by her husband Lord William Hale about her affair with Sharpe. He's talking about the virtues and faithfulnesss of Penelope,wife of Odysseus, and lamenting why Lady Grace was not as faithful to Lor William. Lady Grace answers (and I'm paraphrasing since I don't have the book with me) that maybe she would have, had she been married to Odysseus. Of course, my thoughts this time ran to:

hklettuce06, :agree: I had exactly the same thought when I read that passage. Not exactly sure of the timeline but I wondered if Cornwell had knowingly used the Odysseus reference because of Sean, since many references to "Sharpe" have occured in Sean's films. Just a thought!
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 am

You are so perceptive, girls - I wouldn´t notice at all! :cheer:
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:51 pm

hmmsharpe, I wondered about that too...

I looked it up - here wrote Sharpe's Trafalgar (or it was published)in 2000:

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cf ... 2&BookId=4

and Troy was released in 2004.

But - as we know- maybe between the time Sean got the part, and they made the movie, who knows if BC knew in 2000 about Sean playing Ody or not?
hmmsharpe
Bean Mistress

Post by hmmsharpe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 pm

hklettuce, thanks for looking that up! Who knows? As you said the time between getting a part and having the movie released can be years. Look at some of Sean's other projects. I think my mind just picks up on any reference to any of Sean's movies but especially Sharpe!
Have you read all of the Sharpe books? I am still enjoying reading (listening) my way through them historically.
Thanks again!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 am

hmmsharpe-I think I've read almost all -I haven't read Havoc and Fortress. I keep meaning to buy them, but I keep re-reading ones I've read before.

I haven't read them chronologically. I started reading the books after seeing the first few episodes of Sharpe, and read the books that corresponded to the episodes (Rifles, Eagle, etc). Then started reading them as Cornwell wrote them and they came out on paperback.Not the best way to read them. Some I haven't read for years now,and some I re-read almost every year :dunno:

I think you are doing it the right way - reading them in order. I sometimes go to this timeline (that BC recommends) when I'm curious as to what else was going on in the world at the time:

http://www.brianstimelines.co.uk/SharpieA.html
hmmsharpe
Bean Mistress

Post by hmmsharpe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:59 am

hklettuce, Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I've read Havoc. Intoduced some of the characters in the original novels. I am already looking forward to rereading the books!!!
Lessa

Post by Lessa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 pm

if you read them chronologically they flow better and references to past events make more sense.
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:48 pm

:agree: Exactly. I had an "advantage" to start reading relatively late and at that moment I had ALL the books, so I read them chronologically.
sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

Post by sharpshooter1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:45 am

Haven't read them chronologically but still find them wonderful. I hear Sean's voice as I read them and the one I am reading at the time is always my favourite. Rereading Trafalgar at the moment, they should have made that one as a crossover episode with Ioan Grufford [Hornblower] playing Captain Chase and lovely Lucy Brown as Lady Grace. Wow now that would have been something to watch.
mopdrool.gif