Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Has anyone read ...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Has anyone read ...? Reply with quote
THE COMPLEAT RIFLEMAN HARRIS - THE ADVENTURES OF A SOLDIER OF THE 95TH (RIFLES) DURING THE PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN OF THE NAPOLEONIC WARS by Benjamin HARRIS (Author)

Would love to know what you think and if it's worth buying.

Terry
Cold shower didnĀ“t help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never even heard of it.
Here's the link to Barnes & Noble; there's not even a synopsis.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781846770470&itm=2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't got the book yet but it looks good to me! I think Cornwell said it had some influence on his writing the Sharpe series. Also, does anyone have or know about this book as well? Amazon has a few used, is it worthwhile?

"Sharpe's Victory: The Story of a Hero's Triumph"
by Rachel Murrell, published by Carlton Books (1998).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566490081/o/qid=969325453/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_3/103-6223105-2132649
jd4sb
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Sharpe's Victory - The Story of a Hero's Triumph, and Yes! it's well worth buying for the gorgeous pictures alone!

It has synopses of all the Sharpe films up to Waterloo, also chapters on all the various characters in them, comrades and adversaries, all profusely illustrated with lots of lovely large photos, and also some background historical details at the end.

Before this I'd already bought the original Rachel Murrell Sharpe book: Sharpe's Story - The Making of a Hero, which covered the first eleven episodes up to 'Mission'. Then when Sharpe's Victory was published I just had to buy that as well! It is virtually the same book with the last three episodes tagged onto the end and a bit of historical info at the end.
I can't resist buying anything to do with Sharpe or Sean.

For all fellow Sharpe addicts, I'd also recommend both 'The Sharpe Companion' and 'The Sharpe Companion - the Early Years' by Mark Adkin.
They cover all the Sharpe Books from Tiger to Devil and are (to quote)
"a detailed historical and military guide to Bernard Cornwell's bestselling Sharpe novels". Lots of real history as well as the fiction and very enjoyable.

I don't, however have "The Compleat Rifleman Harris" as mentioned - I must look into that!
Leggy
Sharpe's Cool Lady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, we saw it when we went into Waterstones in Piccadilly, to get them to stock Sharpe Chefs (which they did!!).
They said it has nothing to do with our Harris, but didn't really comment on what it was like.

Beautiful banner by Pudge
debbiej

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Rifleman Harris has his own site. If I remember rightly he was involved in some of the historical research for the books and/or series.

The Sharpe Appreciation Society Site may have more info.

I could be wrong though Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

D
Leggy
Sharpe's Cool Lady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you mean the Rifleman Harris from the series?

debbiej

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, there's a guy who is a re-enactment expert or whatever, who calls himself that.

D
Leggy
Sharpe's Cool Lady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing how twee!!! Bless him

Our Rifleman Harris is better.

jd4sb
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a bit of info on the 'Rifleman Harris' book, in the end Glossary section of my 'Sharpe Companion - The Early Years' by Mark Adkin (as mentioned above), which I quote:

"Harris, Rflmn. Benjamin. Soldier in 1/95th during campaign in Denmark in summer of 1807. Later fought in Portugal and Spain, including retreat to Corunna 1809. Took part in the Walcheren expedition later that year. Invalided out in 1810 and later wrote the now famous account of his experiences, The Recollections of Benjamin Harris published in 1848".
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
mmmm...too many riflemen named Harris. Thank you all for info.

....jd...that may be promising...The Recollections of Rifleman Harris...wonder if it's the same book that's been given a new title? I'll have to try and find it in an actual bookstore.

jd4sb
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've now tracked down and ordered "The Compleat Rifleman Harris: The Adventures of a Soldier of the 95th (Rifles) in the Peninsular & Waterloo Campaigns of the Napoleonic Wars" (snappy title!!) from Amazon, and also "Rifleman Costello - The Adventures of a Soldier of the 95th...etc etc".

It seems that there are quite a few 'Napoleonic Soldier's Memoirs' around at the moment.
Amazon have just emailed me with details of yet another (obviously linking to my interest in Sharpe..):

"Surtees of the 95th Rifles"
'Surtees of the 95th Rifles - From Redcoat to Rifle Green. In more ways than any other writer from the ranks of the 95th, William Surtees' story most closely resembles that of fiction's most famous Rifleman'

Hmmm, I think this is going to get expensive!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jd,

I think I'll see about getting the Rifleman Harris book. I'll start with that one, and keep in my wish list the other ones you mention.

Too many books - too little time.

sharpshooter1
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to but in, but do you remember in the episode 'Sharpes Sword' the scene by the campfire where Sean tells Harris to write a book full of shooting when he leaves the army? I have always taken this to be a sly reference to the real Rifleman Harris who was also a cobbler - remember also in Sharpe's company Harris mending Cooper's boot? Think the writers like to slip in these little hints
amelia
Been Adult

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Think the writers like to slip in these little hints [/quote]

In "Sharpe's Story" Cornwell said that line was the screenwriters little dig at him as author of the Sharpe books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: