Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Sharpe´s Regiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czechmade
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Sharpe´s Regiment Reply with quote
Richard removed from a battlefield, alone against a corrupted, rotten, greedy, parasitic, immoral English aristocracy. What a horrible perspective! I believe here, of all previous novels, Sharpe´s personal charisma goes forth to use all possible ( and even impossible) means to save his regiment.
Watch this: all hopes lost, he and Pat have to go the lowest level, even fight for their lives. Everything is complicated with Jane Gibbons and Richard in love, plus Lady Camoynes and her cunning web - and still he struggles against the odds, using old and new friend. At one moment you think all is well to find yourself totally depressed because everything must be lost - but no! However you must wait till the very end and here you discover that everything was in the hands of the wheels of the fate! Really! IF Lady Anne had not come at the right time to the right place, she wouldn´t have saved the materials! After all, it was at the very last moment, wasn´t it?
Uffff, it was like riding up and down...This is possible only with the man like Richard Sharpe - and his friend Harper + the others. Do you agree with an idea about a prominent charisma here?
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You give me lots to think about, I haven't read this one in quite a while. Must read it again soon.

Yes, I do think Sharpe's charisma (one of the things the character shares with Sean Bean) is a key component of his leadership, his ability to lead men (and attract women-Lady Anne, Jane Gibbons, etc.)
Also part of his good fortune of having friends in high and low places, and the rock solid loyalty of Harper and others.

I also think it's Sharpe's stubborness and pride that also play a part. His "never say die" attitude. He's had to fight for everything in life.

But, he also has this romantic side -which leads him to marry Jane Gibbons when he hardly knows her. He is the knight rescuing the lady in distress. Part of his charisma (and another reason women, and women readers,like him I think),but also a weakness.

Czechmade- I so enjoy readings your posts about the Sharpe books. Thank you.

Czechmade
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why, thank you /blush/! Anyway, you definitely share my view of Jane, a typical product of her family - if only Richard followed his doubts, it is there, he actually thinks of the possibility the girl might be influenced by her horrible, despicable uncle!
I agree with you about a driving power of Sharpe´s pride - after all, what else has he got - pride, honour, bravery - all the virrtues other officers couldn´t buy with their commissions! And you know, I am a hopeless romantic myself... After all, NIL DESPERANDUM exactly means "no dispair". I do not want to be clever but believe me or not, I use it since my student years (we had Latin and I was such a lousy student).
Allow me the last comment: after a battle at the end Jane arrives and instead throwing herself in Richard´s arms (that is what I would do), she takes her drawing kit and is eager to sketch the carnaige around! Sharpe realises it but no, too blind to see her true character, he adores this excuse for Barbie! /Sorry, I must admit that I somehow also dislike A.C., the actress ...)
Hug, I love this thanks!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry, I must admit that I somehow also dislike A.C., the actress ...)

Laughing

Poor Abigail - I've seen her in several different roles throughout the years on Public Television here in the U.S., just recently as a matter of fact, and I always, always, think of her as Jane Gibbons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: