Sharpe Revenge

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Czechmade
Bean VIP

Sharpe Revenge

Post by Czechmade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Umm... difficult, I tell you! You might have possibly noticed that our Richard is getting older... Well, of course, I can´t help seeing Sean´s Sharpe while reading, and suddenly we are at Toulouse and this fierce warrior is thinking of a house in Dorset, family life, peaceful time... and he feels FEAR. He even has to fight with a fear because he doesn´t want to die. He even has to act in a way. What I liked is something I also do sometimes: he looks for certain "omens" which could mean "die or live" - if he doesn´t shave, he will not be killed...
In my case , of course it is not about life or death but about family problems, health etc. I was quite surprised because suddenly I realised HOW OFTEN I did it - and only after reading about Sharpe doing it!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:32 am

Hi - it's me again Czechmade :oops:
this fierce warrior is thinking of a house in Dorset
....almost the end of the war (so they hope)...hope if they've escaped death this long, they'll live to enjoy the peace. Worries about life after war.. all Jane's :puke: :puke: doing...
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am

Oh dear - Jane ! :puke:
Why do you think I am so reluctant to go on reading? :shooting: :puke: (or the contrary, take your pick)
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:34 pm

If you have read most of the Sharpe books, you'll see that Richard has always been fearful and superstitious before battle. As all soldiers are.
It's just ahat this time, he has someone other than himself to worry about, that's all.
As, usual, he'll do his duty, and he'll do his best to keep his men alive.
ImageImage
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, yes, of course. But now... it is somehow different, you know. Such a subtle shift. Maybe it is individual but I really have been reading all the books in a chain one after another since summer and it has never felt so ...prominent. I am sure as soon as the real battle begins, it will be as usual - he has just joined Frderickson and here I am stuck... :smile:
rocknrollheart49

Post by rocknrollheart49 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

Czechmade....Just want to say how much I enjoy your reviews of the Sharpe books. You really do have "insight" into the character of Richard Sharpe. :highfive:

I also read all of the books in order a few years ago (checked them out from our local library) and have also been buying a few at a time. imo, Cornwell did a fantastic job of showing how Sharpe had changed over the years, from young man in the India books to an older man in the last books who is dealing with fears and doubts and is getting tired of the war.

:runaround:
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:08 am

Thank you, I think you are too kind, rocknrollheart... it´s just that I really love reading Sharpe and while reading, I am there. Mind you, I am not a very logically thinking person, more intuitive one... :-D
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:04 pm

So Richard´s revenge is done...with an aftertaste of Pyrrhos´ victory. More pain, physical and emotional.
Here we see more of Frederickson. He seems to be a man of two faces: one - an ugly, merciless soldier, hard and professional; second - an art-lover, well-educated in many fields, good at painting,law,architecture, a gourmet, and prejudiced against women - or it seems so.
When we first meet him, it is simple. Here, in Revenge, it is not. The fates want it and he and Richard become rivals in love.
With Sharpe, it is always like a wild ride, headlong, with blood and angst. And still he leaves Lucille and all is upside down. How does he always do it, on the earth?
Jane :puke: is Jane - in Sharpe her name sounds vulgar to me. And John, that empty bowl... what a couple!A description of Jane´s new London house mirrors her character very nicely, I think.
I followed Richard´s brave and sincere attempts to address William and tell him the truth about Lucille till its bitter end. I wish this broken friendship could be mended ...
There is a sentence Rossendale utters: "You can´t cheat honour".
He does it as a programme. Sharpe doesn´t need to. He HAS his honour - no matter where or when.