New covers?

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

southernbelle
Sharpe's Lass

New covers?

Post by southernbelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Bought these today. I've not seen this set of issues before.
beanyfan
Bean VIP

Post by beanyfan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm

You going to read them or just drool at the covers SB!?
southernbelle
Sharpe's Lass

Post by southernbelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Drool for now. I've got so many books to read and hardly get time to read. Still reading LOTR and it was my New Years resolution to finish it 3 years ago!
sian
Bean Adolescent

Post by sian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks SB!!! :highfive:
I've been holding off replacing some of my falling-apart Sharpe's for ages (must stop reading in the bath...). This prompted me to go over to Amazon - looks like quite a few have been re-issued with drool-worthy covers - and three more are due next month. Just hope they send me the right covers - or they'll get them all back!
Also noticed that they are issuing 'Devil' in audio book CD format later in the year - yippee! I reckon my tape is on its last couple of plays!
norskmom
Been Adult

Post by norskmom » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am

Oh, I'll have to check out the new 'drool worthy' covers! Thanks for the heads-up on the Devil audio CD Sian. I'm afraid to play my tapes anymore in fear that they will unravel.
Sharpe Chef
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

OMG! I have all Sharpe´s books with those traditional covers with reproductions of the paintings. I have to convince myself that buying these new ones is endlessly stupid, my books are still good...and I do have enough Sharpe´s pictures. :roll:
As for reading in the bath, I bought a special plastic shelf, you can put it across the bath and the book is safe, sian :lol: :highfive:
But thanks a lot, SB!
Sable899
Bean Teen

Post by Sable899 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Ooooooooo, shiny!!! Me wants!!! Yeah, right, I need ANOTHER set of Sharpe books like I need a hole in my head. Now just how pathetic am I to admit that I'll probably buy a set of these? We are sad, sad people. Oh well, the way I figure it, most books are made from recycled paper these days, so, in fact, we are actually helping support the recycling industry. And that's a good thing, right, ladies? Also, what with electronic libraries stealing patrons away from libraries and good old-fashioned bookstores, we are also supporting some threatened institutions. Come on, agree with me! I need the support to justify the purchase!
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Czechmade wrote: I bought a special plastic shelf, you can put it across the bath and the book is safe
Great idea Czechmade, I've managed to drown countless books so far! :roll: :lol: Mostly paperbacks happily.
Those covers look appetizing, I'll try to find this edition in the bookstores :drool:
sian
Bean Adolescent

Post by sian » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:31 pm

They are in the book shops here, Astrid. Four titles out right now. Slightly cheaper on Amazon than in the shops - but I could wait for WHSmiths to do one of their 'buy one, get one half price' offers on them. Nah! Amazon here I come! :runaround:
Thanks for the hint about safe bathing with books, CM :-D - but it isn't that I drop them - it's the steam and holding them with wet hands! Of course, if you let yourself become unwary while reading Sharpe, there could be steam even if you're not lying in the bath...
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Well, I have to add the shipping costs to the price on Amazon. But I've found a bookstore nearby, where they have the earlier English edition (probably the same that Czechmade has). A small publishing house started to issue a translated version of Sharpe series, but it's so horribly edited (it would be safer to say it wasn't edited at all - not even proofread :shock: ) that I was close to sending them back my purchased copy with an acid comment added. I'll have to try the original version.
amelia
Been Adult

Post by amelia » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 pm

As you have all said they are absolutely drool worthy covers.I am also trying to decide if I can justify the expense of a new set of Sharpe books.I suppose Sean gets paid every time his likeness is used so it's a good thing for him. I wonder though if someone reading Sharpe for the first time might be a little confused when the description of the character in the book doesn't match the person on the cover.
april2007
Bean VIP

Post by april2007 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:47 pm

:bow: very nice new covers :drool: :thankyou: SB for the heads up.. am off to check them out..
Banner By L
sian
Bean Adolescent

Post by sian » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 pm

amelia wrote:As you have all said they are absolutely drool worthy covers.I am also trying to decide if I can justify the expense of a new set of Sharpe books.I suppose Sean gets paid every time his likeness is used so it's a good thing for him. I wonder though if someone reading Sharpe for the first time might be a little confused when the description of the character in the book doesn't match the person on the cover.
Sean probably gets nothing Amelia. The covers are credited to Tony Nulty who does the stills for Sharpe. Should think he or, most likely, the production company owns the copyrights.
Sean just gets the satisfaction of knowing that he's making certain readers drool! :roll: Thank you Sean...!!! :bow:
April, you are never going to make the baggage allowance if you buy all the new issues when you're over here for the book signing! :lol:
april2007
Bean VIP

Post by april2007 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:08 am

sian wrote:
amelia wrote:As you have all said they are absolutely drool worthy covers.I am also trying to decide if I can justify the expense of a new set of Sharpe books.I suppose Sean gets paid every time his likeness is used so it's a good thing for him. I wonder though if someone reading Sharpe for the first time might be a little confused when the description of the character in the book doesn't match the person on the cover.
Sean probably gets nothing Amelia. The covers are credited to Tony Nulty who does the stills for Sharpe. Should think he or, most likely, the production company owns the copyrights.
Sean just gets the satisfaction of knowing that he's making certain readers drool! :roll: Thank you Sean...!!! :bow:
April, you are never going to make the baggage allowance if you buy all the new issues when you're over here for the book signing! :lol:
Sian playboy :rotflmao: You know me too well !
Banner By L
Czechmade
Bean VIP

Post by Czechmade » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 am

:lol: :lol: Ajajajaj, I have no protection against drooling and steaming and licking the pages, ladies. Some my pages are even salted with tears. Um...and my cat Tygr LOVES sleeping on All my Sharpes! :lol: :lol: :lol: