Robin Hood

Discuss non-Sean movies !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Lotte
Bean VIP

Robin Hood

Post by Lotte » Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Well, I just had to share this with you all.

I heard Russell Crowe being interviewed on the radio about Robin Hood, and he said they were following the legend that Robin was a Yorkshireman, and that in the film he is doing a Northern English accent! :shock: :shock: The interviewer said he thought he sounded a bit Irish, whereupon Russell got into a mega strop!! :roll: :lol: They then played a clip from the film and his accent was, how shall I say, interesting...

I know we've said it before, but why oh why oh why did Ridley not choose our man for this part??! If nothing else, I think he could have managed a much more convincing Yorkshire accent!! :lol: :lol:

Lovely sig pic by the lovely Carol
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm

With all due etc. for sir Ridley, :agree:
He's keeping lately to Russell Crowe like a drunken guy to a fence :lol: I really do wish he'd make some use of Sean. It would be a perfect combination...
kristin724
Bean Mistress

Post by kristin724 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:44 am

I've been discussing this one at the Trek Forum. Most of the reviews are mixed to bad, with the best comment being that its 'Gladiator 2'. A lot of the complaints of the film are in fact that it is mostly old Australians doing a bleak Hood origins story.

I don't like Crowe or Scott, so there! Pity Bean doesn't have the Hollywood clout or money to get that original Nottingham script and make it himself!

:lol:
Pudge
PhD with Honours in Bean Studies (Pics)

Re: Robin Hood

Post by Pudge » Sat May 15, 2010 6:56 am

Lotte wrote:The interviewer said he thought he sounded a bit Irish, whereupon Russell got into a mega strop!! :roll: :lol:
Yeah. The jerk got so ticked off at the interviewer about him questioning his accent in the film that he finally got up and walked off in the middle of the interview. How many times has Sean been asked stupid questions and he just politely answers them. Never would see him storming off like a Hollywood brat! The guy just thinks he's above every one. :evil: :puke:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/1 ... 76124.html
Last edited by Pudge on Sat May 15, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[center]Image
[/center]
Donnadoobie
Bean VIP

Post by Donnadoobie » Sat May 15, 2010 7:02 am

I saw Mark Addy being interviewed about his part as Friar Tuck last week. He said that Scott had cast him after watching Red Riding (Also commenting that Scott wanted to do his own version!) This being the case, could he not see a most perfect Yorkshireman for the part! :dunno:
Avatar thanks to Isabel's Gallery
SeansRose
Location: my body in Munich - my thoughts in Sheffield - my heart...always with Sean

Post by SeansRose » Sat May 15, 2010 7:12 am

Donnadoobie wrote:I saw Mark Addy being interviewed about his part as Friar Tuck last week. He said that Scott had cast him after watching Red Riding (Also commenting that Scott wanted to do his own version!) This being the case, could he not see a most perfect Yorkshireman for the part! :dunno:
It seems Scott is so besotted with Crowe - he wouldn´t see real talent and perfection even if it would bite him in the a*** - and that includes also his behaviour in interviews!!
"...I´m still Sean that me mates went to school with, not Sean the film star. And that´s the way I prefer to be..."
-Sean Bean-

Leila Chatterley
Bean Mistress

Post by Leila Chatterley » Sat May 15, 2010 9:38 am

I totally agree that our man ought to have played Robin!! Really, Crowe ought to be able to take critisism for his accent, and rather say -Hey, I really tried...

I also read in a film magazine that it was actually Crowe who cast Scott, not the other way around... :roll: :roll: . He had the idea (and the script, I think) and wanted Scott to direct. As he put it, he wanted a Robin Hood film that was more about the person he was before he became Robin Hood, when he was called something like Robin Longstride, or something... (that always makes me think of Pippi Longstocking :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: ). So why call it Robin Hood in the first place?!?
Astrid Hagen

Post by Astrid Hagen » Sat May 15, 2010 11:19 am

:lol: :lol: Ok, I feel tickled into writing something.

Well, I LOVE Ridley Scott, not leastly because of his extremely respectful attitude towards women, rather unusual among male directors. I love the way he's able to create breathtaking images and hide surprisingly difficult questions under the surface of a monumental visual and aesthetic feast. Indeed, I believe his big budget movies are belonging to the rare cases, when all those money coughed up by Hollywood producers don't get flushed straight down the toilet. I remember reading somewhere he has casting problems sometimes, not always choosing the perfect personality for a role, and having seen most of his movies, I'd say it's true, maybe because his "stars" are always of a secondary concern to the story itself. I can't say ALL his movies are genial, but then no artist I've ever seen is a genius always - even the best of them do better or worse. But - I think some of his movies are quite close to perfection of form and meaning.

Crowe was a very good acquisition for the "Gladiator" and a good actor, albeit an awful snotnose too (I guess he lost his marbles very fast after all that licking he received in the beginning of his career :lol: ) and he did very well in this movie, as it's very hard to play out pathos without slipping into the ridiculous, and he managed it to the point. (If you have any doubts, just have a look at Pitt as Achilles :shock: :lol: ) Sometimes it seems to me Scott is too lazy to look for new talents, and is employing Crowe just because it's an easy way out of the casting problem...

As for the reviews - honestly I don't give a fart, I'll have to see for myself and decide what to think about this movie.
catgirl
Bean Adolescent

Post by catgirl » Sat May 15, 2010 11:42 am

I saw this at the cinema on Thursday. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the traditional take on Robin Hood as the movie ended as Robin was declared an outlaw, where in the more traditional stories of Robin Hood the story usually begins.

I enjoyed the more serious take on the story, rather than the merry little band of outlaws which how it's usually portrayed. England as in how it would have been back then, was very realistically portrayed.
Gondor has no King, Gondor needs no King

april2007
Bean VIP

Re: Robin Hood

Post by april2007 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:41 am

Lotte wrote:Well, I just had to share this with you all.

I heard Russell Crowe being interviewed on the radio about Robin Hood, and he said they were following the legend that Robin was a Yorkshireman, and that in the film he is doing a Northern English accent! :shock: :shock: The interviewer said he thought he sounded a bit Irish, whereupon Russell got into a mega strop!! :roll: :lol: They then played a clip from the film and his accent was, how shall I say, interesting...

I know we've said it before, but why oh why oh why did Ridley not choose our man for this part??! If nothing else, I think he could have managed a much more convincing Yorkshire accent!! :lol: :lol:
:agree: :agree: :-D
Banner By L
LunarStar

Post by LunarStar » Sun May 30, 2010 12:16 am

I was actually interested in see Robin Hood, but the way I am now I will probably wait to rent it or watch it when it comes out on DVD.
kristin724
Bean Mistress

Post by kristin724 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 am

I think I saw a list where it was still 4 or 5 at the Box Office. Press about it has really died down. I think in the first week, most people just shrugged, made the obligatory Gladiator comparisons and moved on.

It is such a pity though, as we are due for a seriously stylized Robin Hood. I'm getting a little historicaled out, even. Why couldn't we have something with a little of color, fun, and fanfare. It is a legend, after all ;-)

You just have to have someone from Sheffield whose initials are SB for the part! :lol:
LadyIce
Been Adult

Re: Robin Hood/Nottingham v. Yorkshire

Post by LadyIce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 am

Lotte wrote:I heard Russell Crowe being interviewed on the radio about Robin Hood, and he said they were following the legend that Robin was a Yorkshireman, and that in the film he is doing a Northern English accent! :shock: :shock: The interviewer said he thought he sounded a bit Irish, whereupon Russell got into a mega strop!! :roll: :lol: They then played a clip from the film and his accent was, how shall I say, interesting...

On a related tangent, the recent Robin Hood buzz in the press had me looking up a radio segment that I'd heard on National Public Radio.

In the process, I discovered this gem of an interview from 2004 with a modern-day Sheriff of Nottingham in which he insults Yorkshire and its claim to Robin Hood, big time.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1806802

When my husband and I heard this audio clip, we both burst out laughing especially because Yorkshire Pudding is the only Yorkshire icon that the Sheriff can think of belonging to that culture.

Enough to start a county versus county war, I warrant!!!

Naturally, I envisioned just *Who* might be leading a Yorkshire army against Nottingham to take the character of Robin Hood back to where -- in the opinion of many medieval scholars -- he rightly belongs, The North.

Banner image thanks to Govi!
May2
Bean Adolescent

Post by May2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 pm

It's brought in $266,000,000 worldwide so far.

I liked it a lot.

BTW, Russell has gone a week without a cigarette. :cheer:
GOCUBSGO
Pudge
PhD with Honours in Bean Studies (Pics)

Post by Pudge » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:31 am

May2 wrote:BTW, Russell has gone a week without a cigarette. :cheer:
Well I hope that doesn't mean he's gonna get more testy than he usually is (like punching someone)! :roll: He already does that when he's ON ciggies! (sorry....like the actor.....can't stand the man). :chair:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[center]Image
[/center]