Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Killing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astrid Hagen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kizzy wrote:
It gave me a very queer feeling to watch (...) because a week or two after each episode reality would imitate art and produce some incident which was very like what the series had described. And the script had been written about a year earlier, so that was really weird.

Maybe the series was just a rehearsal Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now, that's an idea!

Our present PM is actually a woman - maybe she's had a spy in the TV production company Laughing

Though I think she could have done without some of the problems she's had Wink

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The third and last season of The Killing is starting on Sunday.

The first two episodes were shown in a cinema last weekend for the international press - with English subtitles.
I don't think that's ever happened for a Danish TV series before Wink

It sounds interesting this time, so I've programmed my harddisk recorder to catch it.

Kizzy

blue
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't wait for the 3rd season!! But I think it will take a few time, till i can watch it. The End of Season 2 was quite a shocker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alas, there will be no Season 3 for the American version. The creators really dropped the ball on it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Terry, I know, but I actually meant the Danish version Very Happy I know, the thread started with the US version first Smile I liked the US version too, because I am a fan of Joel Kinnaman since I first noticed him in Johan Falk a few years ago

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
blue wrote:
but I actually meant the Danish version

I know, blue. I was moaning about the American version being inferior to the Danish version and thus it was rightly cancelled.
I became a fan of Joel Kinnaman. too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wel, I've only ever seen the Danish version of "Forbrydelsen" / "The Killing". I don't think Danish television is likely to buy the American version.

But then I've also only watched the Swedish version of the Millenium trilogy, and I'm not really interested in the American version though I'm sure it's quite good. And that has been shown in Danish cinemas.

It's like the Swedish crime series about the detective Wallander in Ystad - I can't reconcile myself to having the Swedish names mangled by English pronounciation not even with Kenneth Branagh as Wallander (I prefer two of the three Swedish actors who've played Wallander to Branagh any day). I always end up giggling at the funny way the Brits pronounce the Swedish place names and proper names. And it ruins the mood of the stories completely for me.

Kizzy

blue
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Terry wrote:
blue wrote:
but I actually meant the Danish version

I know, blue. I was moaning about the American version being inferior to the Danish version and thus it was rightly cancelled.
I became a fan of Joel Kinnaman. too.

ok Terry so it wasn't a misunderstanding Very Happy Yes I also think its a shame that there is no 3rd season for the US version.

If you like Joel Kinnaman, then you have to see Johan Falk, he is so amazing in this. In Austria/Germany there is currently the second season. I am already a nervous wreck... such a thriller

Kizzy I usually don't like it either, when they copy an original, but the Killing is just a bit different. Stephen Holder (Alex Meyer) is just so great, very different than the original character. The worst copy in my opinion is Being Human. I love the BBC series but the US version is a joke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished watching the last episode of The Killing III (Danish original) last night. No further seasons are planned.

I know they've started showing it in the UK, so for the sake of our UK members I won't reveal anything about the ending, except that the scriptwriter thinks it's a happy ending, while the rest of the country seem to think it's not .... It's certainly not a happy ending in the conventional sense.

There's a nice little video on the DR (Denmark's Radio - corresponds to BBC) website of the readthrough of the final episode which took place quite late in the day, after most of the episodes had been shot. The actor playing the murderer was interviewed before and after, he thought he was NOT the murderer at the beginning, and we see his looks change as they read through the episode, and at the end he's actually a bit unhappy about being the murderer because he hasn't had the enjoyment of knowing and infusing his character with anything sinister along the way. It was quite funny to watch the reactions of some of the others too Smile
I wonder how Sean would react to having to play a villain that way - not knowing that he's the villain until quite late in the day Wink

I must admit this season of The Killing is really interesting, at least seen from a Danish viewpoint, because it looks in some detail at the ethics and the 'accepted' selfishness and moral corruption of normal, sensible, honest people .... All the people we respect in the normal way of things unless we get the chance to see the 'clean' look unravel by millimeters until we can glimpse the holes in the the fabric.

Though it's not nearly so violent it reminds me in many ways of Cleanskin ... the manipulation of people that goes on, etc. Wink

Anyway, should you get the chance to watch The Killing III I can certainly recommend it if you like stuff like Red Riding you will like this one too.

Kizzy

Astrid Hagen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kizzy wrote:
I wonder how Sean would react to having to play a villain that way - not knowing that he's the villain until quite late in the day Wink

Wearing a label of "the two-legged spoiler" already, I suspect he wouldn't be all that surprised. Do you remember when he enjoyed teasing someone who took for granted he was to be the villain in "Flightplan"? Laughing Besides as we know, he's usually infusing his most angelic characters with a grain of the sinister and his worst villains with a pinch of humanity, so they are ambiguous to some extent anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're probably right - maybe one should change it around and have Sean expect to be the villain and only realize very late that actually he's the hero.Laughing

I've been thinking he'd have been a real catch as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter movies, for that is what he is - a flawed human being that everyone thinks of as the villain, until he's revealed as a true hero .... And then the character wouldn't have been quite so two-dimensional. In the films he's a bit of a cartoon character really ... The books does give us a more emotional representation - Sean would have been perfect. Ah well, that's water under the bridge.

Anyway, the Danish actor playing the murderer in The Killing is someone who's only very rarely played the villain in Danish film / TV / theatre, and because of some other happenings in the series he felt quite justified NOT to expect to be the villain. In fact the ending is in several ways VERY unexpected, and definitely unusual - 'nough said!

Kizzy

Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A new season of The Killing (the American version) is under way - for those who liked it that should be good news.
Just read it in the Danish media ....

Kizzy

blue
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I know, because I am a Kinnaman-Follower :-)

Kizzy your are Danish, so you must know the Swedish Series "Johan Falk"?! I love this series and because of that I became a huge Joel Kinnaman Fan.

For anyone who doesn't know who he is. He is the new Robocop :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I do know the Johan Falk series, but I'm not so interested in it.
We get a lot of Swedish crime series, and this is fairly routine - seen from my point of view anyway - and doesn't do anything for me.

At the moment I'm following the last series of Borgen (the Danish political drama which has also been shown in the UK) and it's as riveting as the previous two seasons but VERY different.
The script writer, James Price, bears watching ...

Kizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: