Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Tudors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitnessfreak93
Bean Baby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: The Tudors! Reply with quote
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone has watched 'The Tudors' starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers? I have basically become obsessed with it within the last few months (lol) and I was just wondering if anyone on here has seen it as well. If so....what did ya think?
Jill55
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Tudors! Reply with quote
fitnessfreak93 wrote:
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone has watched 'The Tudors' starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers? I have basically become obsessed with it within the last few months (lol) and I was just wondering if anyone on here has seen it as well. If so....what did ya think?

Loved The Tudors - managed to catch it as a repeat on ABC2 last summer - Henry Cavill as Charles Brandon was my favourite.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw the first season, but didn't keep up after that.

I think the series is very good, but I've just had too much of the Tudors over the years. Nobody's fault but my own. Smile
I've become very familiar with that period over the years, and I get a bit tired of having the same stories repeated again and again and again and ....

There are several other interesting periods in English history that I'd like to see explored in drama.

But Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an excellent actor with some of Sean's ability to exude charm and menace at the same time. And he's good looking too Wink
And generally speaking the series has been very well cast. Lovely work all round in fact.

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
blue
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have all the DVDs I love the Tudors. Very good series!!

I was in London 2 weeks ago and was very proud of myself during a tour through the Houses of Parliament,where you can find the portraits of Henry and his wifes, that I could tell the guide what happened to all his wifes Laughing Laughing

Who was your favorite wive? Mine was Jane Seymour. and of course the Duke of Suffolk is very hot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My favourite is Katherine Parr - she seems the most sensible of them all.

Kizzy

morvgal58

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For a large part of my life I lived within walking distance of Hampton Court Palace, home of Henry VIII etc. I got to know and love every chimney, door, window, even brick and the gardens are a constant source of joy. Somehow, I did not want to watch The Tudors, because all the hype made it sound like a "Hello" version of history. I preferred to wander around the Palace and grounds and breath in the history retained there, absorbing the remarkable contemporary portraits. It is a truly magical place.
albertinez
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a very good serie. I have all the dvd's. Natalie Dormer is great as Anne Boleyn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also loved the series and have the DVD's. The only thing I didn't like was JRM cast as Henry. He seems to have the same set style of acting and facial expressions no matter what the role/project is. Wasn't believable when they left him fairly thin all the way to the end. Have no idea why they chose to not physically imitate Henry's weight? I also loved Henry Cavill! Think he is an excellent actor! Looks like he's cast to be the "new man of steel" in an upcoming 2013 Superman film!!

While watching this I kept seeing Sean in some of the roles, especially Jeremy Northam's role. Why he wasn't cast in a series like this always leaves me wondering! Evil or Very Mad

Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One reason might be that Sean's fee would be a lot higher than Jeremy Northam's ....
Didn't Northam play Thomas More? Not an 'action role' really. Considering Sean's image as an 'action hero', and the one-track minds of casting directors I don't think they'd consider Sean for the role of a lawyer and saint-to-be....
But I agree that he could have filled the role very well.

Kizzy

Nachtmar
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tudors TV Series is simply great ... I have all the DVD Sets, but have read a lot about Henry and this dynasty before (e.g. David Starkey's "Six Wifes").
I think it was an extraodinary way of approaching this part of english history ... very courages, especially JRM ... and it worked fantastic ... now you can imagine why Henry was such a "Superstar" in his time and why he was so "successful" with the ladies ... for the first time they casted someone who is attractive for our modern eyes instead of looking for somebody who fits in the last few years of Henrys life ... what you get from other Henry versions is good acting, but I never fully understood what made Henry so popular ... JRM transported that very well ... the attractive, the young, the evil and the old side of Henry ... that they also let him age in his own way was a wise decision, I guess ...

Other JRMs you have to see: Match Point, From Paris with Love, Gormenghast and The children of Huang Shi ...
There you can see good acting from one of the really good youngsters ... I hope he'll get his head together soon and start working again ...

Sean in The Tudors ? ... I bet they considered it ... regarding acting ability he could have done anything ... but if you think about it closely he would not have fitted in ... my opinion !
For Sean the Ray Winston version was the better choice in the end, although I would have loved to see more of him Wink

Love & Hugs
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well looks like Susan and I are polar opposites! LOL! She loves JRM....I really don't care for him at all (hubby doesn't care for him either). I think Sean could have played several roles in that production...she doesn't! Oh well.....that's what makes the world go round!

Nachtmar
Bean Mistress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That I "love" JRM is a bit too much ... he's just one of the young actors I keep an eye on Wink ... there's a Dracula project on his list, sounds interesting ... Dracula is one of these old classic tales I really like, let's wait and see what they will make of it this time Wink

Love & Hugs
Susan

PS: "Love" is surely reserved for our Sean ... in the acting department of course Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm with you Susan.

I first saw JRM in Gormenghast and thought that he looked promising. I haven't seen or even tried to see all his work, but what I have seen has lived up to the early promise.
Patrick Stewart did a version of The Lion in Winter for Hallmark (he playing Henry II, Glen Close playing Eleanor) where JRM plays the young French king, and he's really good, quite eery in that role, better to my mind than Timothy Dalton in the original film version of the play (Starring Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn).
And he's just as good as a nice ordinary young bloke in Better than Beckham.
I liked it when they picked him to play Henry VIII and let him age in a way natural to him. The man (Henry) must have had some charm as well as the underlying menace, and though I like Ray Winstone as an actor, I have never found him charming or attractive :-) Of all the Henries I've seen he was the least convincing as a lover, though very convincing as the tyrant.
I've seen Richard Burton (Anne of a Thousand Days), and Robert Shaw (A Man for All Seasons) play Henry VIII too ... Eric Bana (The Other Boleyn Girl), and one or two others too.

I think it was about time they changed the focus on Henry, and JRM succeeds well with that - at least in the first season (as I haven't seen the later ones, though now you're making me curious!)

Another young actor I keep an eye out for is James McAvoy - what I've seen of him has been uniformly brilliant, but his wife is just as brilliant. She starred in the second episode of Accused this season. And like Sean she also got great reviews.

Kizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: