Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
vikings anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marigold
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: vikings anyone? Reply with quote
Has anyone been watching history channels Vikings? I have and I LOVE it!!!!
Sable899
Bean Teen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOOOOVE this show! I hope the History Channel does series like this more often now that they have proven that they can do quality historical drama.
amelia
Been Adult

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I have been watching the Vikings. I'm enjoying it very much. I'm quite a history buff but never knew much about the Vikings. This series has started me reading about Ragnar and which parts are history and which speculation. When I saw the movie "The Vikings" many years ago with Ernest Borgnine playing Ragnar I didn't realize that he was based on a real person. Looking forward to seeing more.
morvgal58

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If memory serves me right, Ragnar featured in Saint Bernard Cornwell's terrific books about the Vikings.
marigold
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am so glad they came up with this series! I majored in history in college and started out being interested in British history first, then anything British before 1066, then Roman Britan and then finally the Vikings in Britan and at home! I also had a Danish exchange student many years ago stay with us and I have visited Copenhagen, Arhus and Oslo and visited the many fine museums. LOVE THE VIKINGS!! Of course, you have to overlook the invasions, killings, rapes, sackings, drinking and the general dirtyness of the time.....but THEY ARE GREAT!
marigold
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also the man who plays Ragnar is great -Travis something or other!
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
'course the vikings are great! They come from Scandinavia (see me waving a flag ...) Wink

A pity I can't watch The History Channel, I'd like to see that series. There are a lot of intriguing, juicy stories in the Nordic Sagas, in Nordic mythology and in the early chronicles, like Saxo Grammaticus' History of Denmark (legends really of the early Danish kings).
Earlier films have usually been woefully inaccurate (horns on the helmets etc.), I hope they're better these days.

Marigold: Have you been to the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde in recent years? It's a great place with the original preserved ships now finished, and the modern copies, including The Sea Stallion which made the trip to Dublin and back again a few years ago, and workshops where people work with the original tools etc. One of my favourite museums, so alive and un-museum-like - and with the home of Hrothgar (the king of the Beowulf poem) close by (just the site, not a building).

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
marigold
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I visited Denmark in the late '90's. My Danish friend Helle took me to Roskilde (her mother was from there) and we visited both the ship museum and the cathedral. I would love to visit again - Helle lives in Arhus.
Moominmamma
Viggo's Celestial Angel No 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was in Roskilde in 2008 with a group of Viggo friends for his photo exhibition and we visted the Viking Ship Museum. It is lovely, as you say, Kizzy. Very Happy
Reanna
Been Adult

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good grief i have the History channel and didn't even know about it. I think i recall an advert some time back something to the effect of 'where we came from' or the history of us ? but not sure if it is the same program. Every week it's another era/time period ? .... if it is then i've missed it darn !

(All i've been watching lately is Sean either on computer or dvd for the umpteenth time Very Happy )
Sable899
Bean Teen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reanna, that's a different series, albeit a very interesting one, than Vikings. Vikings is more like the adaptation of the Rothgar legends into an historical costume drama.

I was married in Roskilde and we spent a whole week exploring the Viking history and culture, including the museum. You could walk across a freshly plowed field and pick up bits and pieces of Viking pottery and metal work. It was everywhere. There was an old guy who hung out at the boat basin who would walk about with you and describe the area as it would have been at the height of the Viking era for the price of a beer. Very interesting stuff.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The viking ship museum now has a boatyard working in viking age style, and copies of the different boat types ply the Roskilde fjord with tourists in season. And at the Lejre archaeological research centre nearby there is small iron age village where you can spend a couple of weeks playing at being iron age villagers, not asglamorous as being vikings, but probably more realistic!

Kizzy

marigold
BeanToddler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone see the latest episode?
amelia
Been Adult

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I saw the latest episode last night. The show keeps getting better and better.

spoilers.....spoilers......spoilers

I almost didn't recognize the priest. I didn't expect his character to "go native". He's becoming very conflicted. Be interesting to see where the writers take him.

Is there any historical evidence for the sacrifices? Gruesome by our standards.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't seen the series, but the iron age sacrifices were gruesome by our standards.
I remember a film (Danish) which included a big funeral. One of the leaders being buried in his big war-ship in a shallow hole in the ground, where it was all burned - but after the sacrifices human and otherwise were dead thankfully. It was based on a contemporary account by an Arab traveller, and the funeral included sacrifies such as his horses and at least one slave woman. And of course iron age Scandinavians would make sacrifices to the gods in the local bogs, including human sacrifice. We have some nicely preserved human sacrifices in our museums Laughing

Kizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> MOVIE & TELEVISION SHOWS DISCUSSION THREAD All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: