Sharpe's books in general

Discuss the books here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

MysteryRose
Been Adult

Sharpe's books in general

Post by MysteryRose » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

I am re- re- re watching the Sharpe series and I am considering reading the books now too. But I'm not sure yet, for various reasons.

To those who have read the books: is it a difficult read? How detailed are the battles for instance? Is it very technical?

Thank you
mjcd1951
Bean VIP

Post by mjcd1951 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

The Sharpe books are easy reads. Not technical to the extreme but just enough that you get the story. I loved them and am considering reading them again. Sharpe is my favorite Sean Bean character in the tv shows.
Good luck! JOY :-D :-D :-D

Sigpic made by Govi
Moominmamma
Viggo's Celestial Angel No 1

Post by Moominmamma » Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 pm

:agree: The Sharpe books are easy reads and very exciting adventure stories.

Bernard has done his research well and often mixes real life historical characters with his fictional ones. I like the details about military history and the battles, but you can always skip those parts if you are not interested. :-D
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:31 pm

:agree: The Sharpe books are terrific reads and sufficiently different from the films to add interest. It is interesting that, in the later books, Bernard Cornwell stopped describing Sharpe's appearance because by this time, our Sean was in every reader's mind as Sharpe, and not the black haired, blue eyed Cockney originally envisaged. The battle scenes can be a bit gruesome, but you can always skip this bit. I am half way through reading the set for the third time!
noiram73
Bean Mistress

Post by noiram73 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Moominmamma wrote::agree: The Sharpe books are easy reads and very exciting adventure stories.

Bernard has done his research well and often mixes real life historical characters with his fictional ones. I like the details about military history and the battles, but you can always skip those parts if you are not interested. :-D
:agree:

I really can recommend to read the books, if you like Sharpe. Sometimes the books are different to the movies, but to compare book to film can be very interesting, too!
Thanks to Isabel and Govi for my avatar.
MysteryRose
Been Adult

Post by MysteryRose » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you for your replies! :-D
When reading the book, do one lose the image of Sean in one's head, or will one still see Sean in the character of the book (even though he is dark haired as I read above)?
PamMcM
Bean Mistress

Post by PamMcM » Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm

MysteryRose wrote:Thank you for your replies! :-D
When reading the book, do one lose the image of Sean in one's head, or will one still see Sean in the character of the book (even though he is dark haired as I read above)?
Since I saw the tv shows before reading the books, Sean IS Sharpe in my minds eye!!!

Enjoy!
Thanks to Isabel!

MysteryRose
Been Adult

Post by MysteryRose » Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 pm

PamMcM wrote:
MysteryRose wrote:Thank you for your replies! :-D
Since I saw the tv shows before reading the books, Sean IS Sharpe in my minds eye!!!

Enjoy!
That's good to know!
Well, I'll have to start collecting the books now then!

Thanks again for your replies
:-D
Beany
Bean Mistress

Post by Beany » Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 pm

I read two of the books, they are nice, but ...enough for me. Easy reading.

What I liked most about them was..I always imagined Sean as Sharpe. And - as far as I know...Bernard Cornwell started thinking of Sean as Sharpe ...once the Tv Series started! :cheer:
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I've read all of the books and enjoyed them all. Yes, as everyone said they are a very easy read, and I learned a lot about the battles and wars Cornwell described. Reading the Sharpe series led me to read a couple of Cornwell's other books, too.
ImageImage
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

I have to confess here to being an absolute Bernard Cornwell addict - I have read EVERY book he has ever written (even under an assumed name). His sailing thrillers are particularly good and his various historical series are just brilliant. Fellow and would-be addicts can always PM me.
Reanna
Been Adult

Post by Reanna » Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm

It is 'seeing Sean' in your minds eye while reading it that makes it so much more enjoyable to read. His features and dark hair in the book hardly gets mentioned and the few times it is mentioned will not make you forget what the real Sharpe look like. You will put the voice of Patrick Harper there too. :lol:
One thing though, the books don't resemble the tv episodes at all. You will recognise names and a few scenes that are the same but in general they are miles apart. The advantage of that is, you are 'seeing' a whole new episode with every book you read even if you did see the tv episode of the same name :smile:
MysteryRose
Been Adult

Post by MysteryRose » Thu May 23, 2013 5:50 pm

That sounds good to me! :-D
kristin724
Bean Mistress

Post by kristin724 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:21 am

Yes indeed, the original series of Sharpe books are a lot of fun easy action adventure! :highfive:

The newer ones that go back and fill in the timeline are less Sharpe centric and tend to wander a bit but as a completist I am slowly making my way thru them.

Now if only we could get one more movie! :bow:

I wrote reviews on most of them here somewhere. I should find all the links! :drunk:
gillian
BeanToddler

Post by gillian » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, I have enjoyed reading them (not all yet). Easy to read. For me it is a good complement to the movies - some aspects are well developped in the books, in particular Harper caracter and Sharpe-Harper friendship - it is well but not fully depicted in the series - for example in the books they talk a lot and it is really great and moving at times. I found really interesting the picture of everyday life in the army - Cornwell is perfect in depicting it. For somebody not very interested in history and army S I am the descripition of battles was fine and not boring at all.
Weak side of the books are "romance" side and ladies themselves, excluding Teresa and Lucille. Jane's portrait is much more nuanced in the books than in the series, sometimes she is sympathetic.