Back to the index page

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
!!SPOILERS!! Help from people who have read the books...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julie
Bean Adolescent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: !!SPOILERS!! Help from people who have read the books... Reply with quote
I hope this is the right place to ask!
I'm currently watching the whole Sharpe series for the 1st time - just finished Sharpe's Sword - and I'm really loving it, but because I am a big fan of details (some would probably say "fastidious" too lol) I find myself with a lot of unanswered questions.
From what I understand (but please correct me if I'm wrong) the episodes were aired at least months apart, and even in the story each episode starts quite a while after the end of the previous one - but when you do watch them back to back there is a certain lack of continuity, so I was wondering if any of you could help me with the following questions that I think should have their answers in the books (books that I totally intend on reading at some point btw, but I can't wait!)
- do Sharpe and Teresa really get married? Or does he just call her his wife because he regarded their relationship as marriage?
- whatever happened to Antonia after Teresa's death? Sharpe goes to see her at the end of the episode but so far she's never been mentionned again.
- in the books is Sharpe as successful with women as he is in the series? I understand why each episode needs its own bit of romance for the viewers' enjoyment, but is it the same in the books?
And FINALLY:
- do the books say what was going on in his head when he cheated on his wife? I found that slightly out of character, especially as in the series they picture him as a man of honor (and he pretty much swore he'd never cheat like the night before)

Sorry if that's too many questions Embarassed any answer would help my fussy self to watch the rest of the series peacefully Wink

Last edited by Julie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Sable899
Bean Teen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlight the yellow text to view the answers.

-do Sharpe and Teresa really get married? Or does he just call her his wife because he regarded their relationship as marriage.

In the series, he just calls her his wife and they are never married. The book does have a scene where they are married immediately after the fall of Badajoz.

-whatever happened to Antonia after Teresa's death? Sharpe goes to see her at the end of the episode but so far she's never been mentioned again.

She does get mentioned again in Sharpe's Peril, which was shot from an original screenplay and not related to any book. The book and film both have her being sent off to live with Teresa's family, in the film it was to someplace near Badajoz while in the book it was to Oporto and she is never mentioned again. The first Sharpe Companion by Mark Adkin confirms that he never sees her again. Bernard Cornwell also confirmed this in a taped interview which was subsequently transcribed and published on his website. He gave a full accounting of Sharpe's golden years after Sharpe's Devil.

-in the books is Sharpe as successful with women as he is in the series? I understand why each episode needs its own bit of romance for the viewers' enjoyment, but is it the same in the books?

As he is in the series, he is in the books. He's completely clueless about women, falls in love at the drop of a pair of knickers and has a constant stream of them.

-do the books say what was going on in his head when he cheated on his wife? I found that slightly out of character, especially as in the series they picture him as a man of honor (and he pretty much swore he'd never cheat like the night before)

He's actually worse in the books than he is in the series as far as his liaisons with women other than his wife are concerned. The books are a bit more revealing as to his character in regards to women in general. He was pretty much the same as any enlisted soldier in the British Army. Their moral compasses were extremely ambiguous. Sex and honour are two things that are completely unrelated in their minds. Plus, in the books, Sharpe isn't nearly as honourable as he is made out to be in the series and his nasty side comes to the surface more often.

Hope this helps to spur you into reading the books. So many things will make sense if you read them all in chronological order.
Julie
Bean Adolescent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much! It's all going to make more sense to me now!
That's the problem with movies in general, you don't have the background and you don't know what the characters are thinking.
Sharpe seems to be much more complex in the books than he is in the series and your answers definitely make me feel like reading them - it would help with the historical context and the other characters as well. The series is really interesting and when I'm interested I usually like to search for information on the subject as far as I can :-)
Thank you again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sable, I have to say I think all your answers are spot on - terrific. Lets face it, in the books he commits cold-blooded murder more than once - certainly not a particularly honourable man. More a survivor at any cost.
Julie
Bean Adolescent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to you too Morvgal for these precisions. I wondered watching the DVDs if the character of Sharpe had been maybe a bit romanticised for TV, and after what you and Sable said I'm definitely going to read the books!

Thanks again to you both!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The books hold the series' backstory: Sharpe's history with Hakeswill, How he knows Jane in Regiment, the whole story of his relationship with Wellington, his history with Maggie Joyce, his seemingly good relationship with some of his men such as Captain d'Alembord, Harry Price, Charley Weller the young recruit, as well as Sally Clayton the camp wife, Captain Leroy, Lt. Doggett, and countless others. You'll also meet the Cornwell versions of La Marquesa, Josefina, Hogan, Nairn, the Chosen Men, Isabella, Lord Kiely and many other familiar names from the series.

After you've read the books and gotten completely hooked on the history you might want to check out The Sharpe Companion books by Mark Adkin, in two volumes.
Kizzy
Bean VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've read all the Sharpe books, but only once - yet.

Where is his history with Maggie Joyce made clear? I don't remember it, and I'd like to read that again.

Kizzy

Banner courtesy of Astrid, pictures due to Pudge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bean Forum Index -> SHARPE'S BOOKS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: