Quotes -- some I never read before !

All about the man

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Govi
Sean's Celestial Angel No 1

Quotes -- some I never read before !

Post by Govi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Found these on "Green Opals"which is a Sean Bean slash FictionArchibe site. Don't worry : the quotes have nothing to do with slash.

The most interesting part of most of us [actors] is our acting not our private lives. But that's not true of Viggo Mortensen, poet, painter and photographer. He and Sean Bean are the best of mates and two of the most peaceable hunks you could hope to laugh and drink with.
~excerpts from a post on Ian McKellen's official site~

We did try to go out and relieve tension, go to bars and that sort of thing. And crazy things would happen. We had a scale double, Kieran, and Viggo [Mortensen] would chase him down and attack him. And one night, when Sean Bean and Viggo were drinking, they decided to break into Orlando [Bloom]'s hotel room and kidnap him, dragging him screaming down the stairs. It was absolutely delightful.
~Elijah Wood in a Entertainment Weekly interview~

"Another story -- and this really is an index of the real man... I met him in LAX (Los Angeles airport), he'd come direct from New Zealand. We were both going to London. He was carrying what seemed like 20 bags and he's got this old man and old lady there. I asked Sean if I could give him a hand. After waiting a few minutes, I asked whether he was going to introduce me to his friends. 'Is this your Mum and Dad?' He said he'd love to introduce me to them but he didn't know their names. The rather dazed old couple introduce themselves...they were just an old couple who had been on the plane and had been struggling with their luggage, he'd decided to help them out. They had no idea who he was. We get to Heathrow and I'm running for a connection and out of the corner of my eye, I can see Sean very patiently taking their bags off, stacking them and steering them through customs. I don't believe, to this day, they had any idea who he was. The man is pure gold. I love him to death. He's just a thoroughly good man and a marvelous actor."
~John Rhys Davis in a 2003 interview~

"The room was incredibly small, and I was reading a scene from the script where I try to steal the ring from Frodo. And I sat there in the chair in the hotel room and tried to enact the role, but it was such a physical scene and hard to do in there so when I later left the room I felt 'shit, I could have done that a lot better.' But obviously I must have done something right, since I got the part."
~Sean on auditioning for Peter Jackson~

"We spent about five weeks rehearsing the swordplay and getting used to the weapons. So, by the time we started, we all had our distinctive styles. Viggo and I had these big, heavy swords, real chopping blades. Occasionally, someone missed a move, and people got bruises and stuff. But if you imagine the amount of battle scenes that we were doing, there's always going to be somebody who gets a clunk."
-Sean~

"Sean Bean and I made fun of the elves, and they made fun of us. They said we were dirty and smelly and less intelligent and graceful, all of which is probably true. We commented on their vanity: 'Well, when you are done with your nails, we are being attacked.â"
-Viggo~

"I'm not a very good flier, though I'm getting better. It's the turbulence which really gets me. Orlando and I decided to drive and take the ferry instead. The only problem was Orlando's propensity for shopping. He had to stop at every shop to get Christmas presents. It was pouring with rain, so I was saying: 'Look, we've got to get going or there's going to be a landslide'. And sure enough, there was. We turned back to find another one so we were stuck in the middle of nowhere. They sent a chopper to airlift us out- even worse than a Dakota! It was still raining and we were flying through mountain passes and the windscreen wipers were going like mad. I said: "Can't you just drop us in that field?" but they wouldn't. I was gripping Orlando's kneecap so hard I must have nearly broken it. He was saying: "It's OK" but he still takes the piss out of me for that."
-Sean ~

"I took a car trip down towards the Southern Island with Sean Bean. We were filming down there, but Sean's not into flying. And as we were driving, torrential rain started pouring down. You've never seen this much rain. I was videoing it and thinking, "This is insane." It didn't stop, for, like twelve hours. And after nine hours of heavy rain, the roads just started to wash away. Then we saw this massive landslide coming right towards us. We spun the car around, but we ran into another one further up the road. So we pulled to this petrol station where there was already a queue of people. And we managed to find a little cottage, where they let us stay. They had to carry us out in a helicopter, in all this torrential rain, which was kind of hairy. Sean was gutted. He'd done this whole drive just to avoid the flight."
-Orlando ~

"We were traveling down by road from the top of the South Island, from Wellington to Queenstown, and it's about a ten hour journey, and it just happened that we had a lot of water a lot of rainfall and the road we were on was only a two lane road, and banks collapsed behind us and in front of us; we were sort of stuck in this little place for a couple of days; me and Orlando Bloom"
-Sean ~

"Two of the actors, Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom, have been caught between two landslides and are now trapped in a tiny town in the middle of the South Island. They have been taken in by a kindly woman who has offered them food and a bed. They were last reported to be cooking spaghetti and cracking into a bottle of red wine."￾ -Peter Jackson~

"We all got together one night near the end of the shoot. We'd had a few drinks and decided we needed to get something to celebrate this so the experience would live forever in our memories. I was the last one to get it. Orlando dragged me out to get it down in New York recently. I think everyone thought I'd chicken out, but I've completed the circle now."
~Sean~

"Their Winnebago for makeup was called the Cuntebago. I was not a part of the Cuntebago unfortunately-it was the makeup room of Orlando, Viggo, and Sean Bean-but it was a lovely place to visit."￾ ~ Elijah Wood in Rolling Stone, 2002.~

Q: If I ask you what you think about the rest of the cast, what is the first thing that comes to your mind if I name you, for instance, Sean Bean?
A: He's a terrific actor, and a good friend, very good companion, the best possible. We had really good connection, and I think that helped us to develop our roles. We shared a lot and the truth is I miss him a lot. I think that you can feel the connection on the film, we will see it more in, well, I cannot tell you how, but there will be some flask back, some really good stuff in the third part. But his work has ended with us and I miss him. A good friend. I don't know if he's going to travel to NZ this year, when we go to do some more shooting in may or June, when we are going to film some more and finish the things well.
~Viggo ~

"...and then he (Viggo) just rugby-tackled me for some reason, you know, really like BANG. I wondered what had hit me, you know? I'd say, "What are you doing?" and he'd be like...(mimics a hoarse, insane laugh) He's an extraordinary guy, really, he believes in the truth in everything he does, I think, no matter what it is. And if he doesn't, he doesn't do it."
-Sean ~

"Sean Bean was a real brother in arms, storywise, but also actor-to-actor and man-to-man. He was a most valuable ally to me."
-Viggo~

"He's (Orlando) a lovely guy, but he's a good guy, got a really good heart. But we're very different in some ways -- I'm from up north, he's from down south, and I call him "southern softie" and he calls me...(laughing) "the northern bastard."
-Sean~

"I wasn't very good at the canoes, really. I mean, I couldn't ever sort of get the sense to put it over that way to do a left and all that lot, and I just kept getting lost and I had to be towed back in. And Orlando was quite good, he'd practiced a lot more than I had and was always so...(imitates paddling a boat, back straight, chin up, very aloof)...you know, very graceful. But so anytime I could give his boat, his canoe a little knock with my oar, I would, so he'd be sent 'round the wrong way, and they'd say "Action" and he'd -- "I can't! It's Bean, he's put my boat in the wrong direction!"
-Sean~

"We spent a whole year of our lives together. We learned to socialize and accept people from different backgrounds, as we do in the Fellowship in the film. We all used to go out together, and then the hobbits would break off and play pool. If I wasn't hanging out with the guys in the Fellowship, I'd hang with Viggo Mortensen. You could say he was my best friend on the film."
-Sean~

"We were shooting a lot at night, and the scene where we fight the serpent in the water, that was really hard. That was tough because it was really cold in New Zealand at the time- it was winter and the water wasn't heated and we were in our costumes for a night shoot that went 12 or 14 hours. That was tough. That was really tough. I thought I was going to be required the following evening and I was like "Oh God, I've got to do it again in that f**king cold." But then I got a call saying "Hey Sean, it looks like we might not need you tonight. We're going to do this digitally. I thought, "Oh, that's great." But I think just the sheer excitement and thrill of being involved in such a thing just carried you through the days when you're tired. It's only afterwards, when I was finished, that it just hit me and I felt exhausted.
~Sean~

"I left the set three months before the others, which felt strange. I wanted to be with them in the fantasy world, not stuck in traffic in England. It was quite an anticlimax."￾
~Sean~

"They sucked so much power from you, physically as well as mentally. Mostly physically. We fought with snow and ice cold water in the winter, and heat in the summer, always carrying heavy equipment, carrying sword and shield during long battle scenes. You fed off the adrenaline."
-Sean ~

"Lord of the Rings was just so much enjoyment. It was over about the space of a year that I was filming. It's one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done; so emotional."
-Sean~

"It was sort of a thriving sort of social life. We were all together, very much as a group, living very close to each other for a year and a half. I'll always remember it, because I made some great friends over there, and it's a great country. That's a great way to spend your life, isn't it? I mean, it was for me, and every day you'd be thinking, This is brilliant."
~Sean~

"We all went through this incredible experience together. I made some great friends - Billy Boyd, Ian McKellan and Orlando Bloom. I also became very good friends with Sean Bean - he's bonkers, you know!"
~Dom, From Teen magazine

"Viggo and I had stories that were parallel, so we spent a lot of time together, but it was also within the Fellowship there was a strong link between us all."
~Sean Bean, From Dreamwatch

"I think he is calm and easy and fairly relaxed. Sean was incredible. He was very concentrated. I could not imagine anyone to be more centered on his work, on all the details, the surroundings (the scenes) and everything that he referred to in the film for so long. What stamina..."
~Viggo Mortensen~

"It was great doing that scene [Boromir's death scene] with Viggo because he is such a generous, truthful actor and I'm glad he was there with me at the end, as it were, and he brought a sort of peacefulness to it and a spirituality to it, which I think he naturally has as a person. So that was of great help to me."
~From the Toronto Sun, Sean on Viggo Mortensen~

"Well Sean has greater ability to put on a poker face than I, of course. Sometimes I felt that the situation was beating me, in truth I was a little amazed. But Sean or the Community as much as the rest of the filming crew were always there supporting me." ~Viggo Mortensen~

"The best thing was just travelling through from the North Island to the South Island. We did it a second time, Viggo and I, and that time we got through. It was just wonderful having the opportunity to drive through this ancient forest land and mountains, to see shorelines, to stop in little villages and to spend the night there and to carry on the next day. It was a really magical time for me."
~Sean on Viggo Mortensen~

"It was wonderful, a fantastic experience. It was great. And I was fortunate to be working alongside Viggo.... He's a wonderful actor and a really great guy as well as a real gentleman. I really got on well with him. We're about the same age, you see."
~Sean on Viggo~

Sean was afraid from flying in helicopters so when we shot the scene where Boromir takes up the Ring from the snow I feared he would be thinking about the fact that we had to fly back again and this was a very important scene. He did an amazing job and when we rode back I asked him if he had been thinking about it and he said "all the time."
~Viggo on Sean, written down from memory from Viggo's interview on the extended DVD version of the first LOTR movie~

Sean didn't fly with us after that. He got up 2 hours before everyone else and walked over the mountain to get to location, he refused to get on a helicopter again. We used to be able to see him from the copper and waved at him when we flew over him.
~Viggo (and others) on Sean, written down from memory from Viggo's interview on the extended DVD version of the first LOTR movie~

It [Living with Elves] makes him [Aragorn] doubt himself and his own abilities. So, in the case with his relationship to Boromir... Boromir teaches him that there is something inherently valuable about man, and brave, and worthwhile, and that in spite of whatever doubts Strider/Aragorn has about himself and about the value of man, as a race in itself, apart from the others, there's great strength in men. That's what he tells him. What he shows me.
SB: Boromir shows him there are good things to be found in man.
VM: I envy his certainty to some degree.
SB: ...because you are man, and a certain aspect of knowledge is ignorance.
~Viggo and Sean from a Cannes 2001 interview [Note: The reporter says that Viggo Mortensen and Sean Bean spoke very quietly so this may not be 100% correct but close]~

Sean Bean: You keep the character and you can return to work and bring him out after some time. It's there, within you.
Viggo Mortensen: Now, for example, I'm looking at you and some things come to me at once, like difficult scenes that we did, in which our characters worked closely together. They will remain in my memory forever.
Sean Bean: Yes, yes.
Viggo Mortensen: And when I see you in other films, I know that there are things that I have had the fortune to share with you which others have not.
Sean Bean: I agree.
~From a spanish interview.~

Sean Bean: His work... Okay, to tell the truth the other day I saw him in jeans for the first time... I believe that nobody saw him in street clothes during the filming! (laughter).
Viggo Mortensen: He always wore short trousers... whether it was hot or cold (more laughter).
Sean Bean: Careful, Viggo did not dress coarsely, he was in `hobbit' dress, yes, but he had a special hobbit " look ". Yes?
Viggo Mortensen: I think he is calm and easy and fairly relaxed. Sean was incredible. He was very concentrated. I could not imagine anyone to be more centred on his work, on all the details, the surroundings (the scenes) and everything what he referred to in the film for so long. What stamina...
Sean Bean: Viggo didn't sleep more than four hours a day, yes? But, I don't know, I saw he was so enthusiastic with everything, well, I suppose that he didn't need to sleep more.
Viggo Mortensen: I believe that Sean was as enthusiastic on the last day or filming as on the first.
Interviewer: It seems that Mr. Bean is a rock, and the others?
Viggo Mortensen: Well Sean has greater ability to put on a poker face than I, of course. Sometimes I felt that the situation was beating me, in truth I was a little amazed. But Sean or the Community as much as the rest of the filming crew were always there supporting me.
Sean Bean: All of us helped each other, it was hard sometimes...very hard.
Viggo Mortensen: Everybody is great.
~From a spanish interview.~
moonlustie
Wardrobe Mistress
Location: UK - thanks to dienw & namarie120 on LJ for the avatar

Post by moonlustie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 pm

These are brilliant - thank you Govi

I love the LAX one - it's so Sean :lol:
Hugs

Sue

Macpy
Bean's Mac

Post by Macpy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Thank you Carol....I still love to hear and read about LOTR, the behind the scenes stuff which you get here too. :runaround:
Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Post by Pendragon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:29 pm

I especially like the one where Sean & Vig dragged Orlando down the stairs. Bet he squealed like a pig... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe they ruined his manicure too... :lol:
“The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.”
Luinielle

Post by Luinielle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks so much for posting these, Govi!! :runaround: :runaround:
rachel

Post by rachel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:42 pm

thanks so much for posting this!! :thankyou: Its funny to read all the compliments Sean and Viggo give eachother
debbiej

Post by debbiej » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 pm

But they don't say if they fed Orlando to the sharks after they'd dragged him downstairs :lol:

Seriously, thanks for those, they're great.

D
april2007
Bean VIP

Post by april2007 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Carol, :congrats: You did it again. :runaround: You do find really good Sean info. :thanksies: Thanks for Posting.
Banner By L
Terry
Cold shower didn´t help!

Post by Terry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 pm

I enjoyed all of those, very much! :rotflmao:
ImageImage
myowyn

Post by myowyn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:00 am

Thank you so much for this Govi, you know how I can being in love with the Lotrd then really you made my day with these interviews!

What a treasure for me indeed! Thank you!
hklettuce06
Bean VIP

Post by hklettuce06 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 am

Thank you for these - I so enjoyed reading all the comments.

One of my favorite comments from Dom:
I also became very good friends with Sean Bean - he's bonkers, you know!
That's our Sean.
Crazy Canuck
Bean Adolescent

Post by Crazy Canuck » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:47 am

Wonderful to read - THANKS Govi!!
Govi

Post by Govi » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Pendragon wrote:I especially like the one where Sean & Vig dragged Orlando down the stairs. Bet he squealed like a pig... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe they ruined his manicure too... :lol:
Can you imagine being kidnapped by Sean and Vig and dragged down the stairs.. :thud:
Pendragon
Delicate Flower

Post by Pendragon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Govi wrote:Can you imagine being kidnapped by Sean and Vig and dragged down the stairs.. :thud:
I can imagine being shagged on the stairs... :halo: I think Vig has some practice in that...
“The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.”
Govi

Post by Govi » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:21 pm

I know yeah.. I bet it would be tricky with 3 people, but I'd sure give it a try