About Photobucket

Problems with the forum ? Ask here !

Moderators: morvgal58, SeansRose, Brenna, Janice, loucifer67

Janice
Merrick Maiden

About Photobucket

Post by Janice » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Hey folks, I just wanted to give you an update about Photobucket.

I was pleasantly surprised today when I found that I could now click on a photo in our board, get into Photobucket without being told to disable my ad blocker, and even save the photo. This was nice because they had already figured out a way to prevent one of the two tricks I've been using to save pix lately. So I took a look at the Photobucket complaints blog to see if their paying customers were happier now. But noooo ....

You won't believe what they're doing. They have started monitoring the bandwidth used by your photos -- not the amount of space the pics take up, but the amount of network traffic any time someone views your pics from pages on other sites such as forums. If you go over the limit, they replace your pictures with a message saying that third-party hosting has been disabled -- and require you to pay for an upgrade to get your pictures back. For $100 a year you can post links to pictures, but not display them on other sites. To be able display them you have to pay $300 a year. :shock: [Edit: Oops -- make that $400 a year.] I don't know when or if this will affect your accounts, but be on the lookout.

Here's a link to their new Terms of Service (scroll down to Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits):

http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4kn1LQmpq

And here's the complaints blog:

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/comm ... /#comments
Last edited by Janice on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks, Janice. No problems yet, but I'll keep an eye out.
SeansRose
Location: my body in Munich - my thoughts in Sheffield - my heart...always with Sean

Post by SeansRose » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks Janice! It looks like I´m over the limit...these are criminals! I hope they burn in hell :voodoo: and I am not going to pay any ransom for my pics :evil:
Now I have to look for a free alternative...I hope I can manage this before the weekend as it´s my turn next week to post the Dailies. Fantastic timing by these criminals :evil: :furious:
"...I´m still Sean that me mates went to school with, not Sean the film star. And that´s the way I prefer to be..."
-Sean Bean-

Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm so sorry that you got caught in their net. I think what they are doing is criminal. It's like the ransomware that hackers install to encrypt computer files and force the owners to pay money to unlock them again. How many people can afford [strike]$300[/strike] $400 a year just to post pictures? And apparently some people have even paid it but still can't access their files. I wouldn't be surprised if Photobucket drives so many customers away that they go out of business. :evil:

Maybe Slickpic would be a good alternative? That's where Lou hosts her gallery.
Last edited by Janice on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeansRose
Location: my body in Munich - my thoughts in Sheffield - my heart...always with Sean

Post by SeansRose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 am

You are quite right Janice and yeah - Slickpic would be really a good alternative.
"...I´m still Sean that me mates went to school with, not Sean the film star. And that´s the way I prefer to be..."
-Sean Bean-

Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Here's a good example of someone who's been burned by this insane new policy:

http://www.hobomama.com/2017/06/photobu ... -site.html
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Some of the topic area icons on our main forum page have been Photobucketed. Is Lou the only one who can delete or replace them?
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Just to-day there is an "update" message from Photobucket on my TMB site. I am not prepared to give in to their blackmail, so I may not be able to post my last 2 days this week - I will try, but if not, I apologise in advance.
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:53 pm

If you can't, let me know. I can fill in for you on Saturday and Sunday if necessary. The server where I put my pics is working most of the time lately (knock wood).
SeansRose

Post by SeansRose » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Janice wrote:Some of the topic area icons on our main forum page have been Photobucketed. Is Lou the only one who can delete or replace them?
Unfortunately Lou is the only one. :cry: "Photobucketed" - thats great...you´ve created a new term Janice :-D
-Sean Bean-

Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:18 pm

:-D

I just sent Lou a PM about the problem.
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:24 pm

I contacted them and told them they were a load of blackmailers and I was disgusted. Probably will not make any difference, but I felt a bit better. I'll try to put up my planned Saturday DB now - if it does not appear tomorrow, Janice, can you take over? Thank you.
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34 pm

No problem. And if your set does show up, I'll save it just in case it disappears, so I can repost it for you.
morvgal58

Post by morvgal58 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:38 pm

I think I'm falling in love with you. :lol:
Janice
Merrick Maiden

Post by Janice » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: